Bitrate Display For Eth0 Under 038

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby bob selby » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Iptraf had its problems and I like the simplicity of the network stats screen under 038 but I REALLY miss the Bits Per Second display that Iptraf gave :-(

My ISP sometimes applies arbitary caps on customers and sometimes the bit of wet string that is the ADSL link dries out and it would be nice to be able to get a rapid display of the current rating when I'm shouting at them over the phone :-)

Is there a simple tool/package/script around that would display the bits/sec for eth0 and update it once per second??

TIA
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:21 pm

There is an inherent problem with really doing accurately what you are asking and that is the fact that 2.0.x kernels don't actually have a mechanism for counting bytes. You can assume that each packet is completely full and then do the math from there. But that is just a high guess for the actual transfer rate. But I will do some looking into what would be involved with adding a guessed transfer rate into the built in system for 0.3.9

However there is nothing stopping you from running iptraf on 038 and the built in network monitor can just be disabled in the advanced setup so that you can run iptraf on screen 5 and even as a daemon if you want from within the rc_user start) section.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks - frankly I'm not looking for accuracy - iptraf was fine for my purposes :-)
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby dingetje » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:59 am

An lightweight alternative for iptraf is maybe <a href='http://robert.cheramy.net/ipfm/' target='_blank'>IP Flow Meter</a>:

Code: Select all
pkg -i http://dingetje.homeip.net/packages/0.3.x/ipfm_0.11.5_dingetje

it runs silently in background and outputs to text files, so you need another simple script to display the results on a console. Its PHP companion is <a href='http://scripfm.sourceforge.net/' target='_blank'>http://scripfm.sourceforge.net/</a>
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Zedde » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:11 am

Hmm it dosn't reg the output :(
"From now until the end of the world,
we and it shall be remembered.
We few, we Band of Brothers.
For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
Zedde
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 pm

But I will do some looking into what would be involved with adding a guessed transfer rate into the built in system for 0.3.9

It looks like this will be a reality in 0.3.9.

justdave has created the necessary code to include this into the system. So there will be the transmit and receive rates included in the network monitor on screen 6. As for it's actual accuracy, that is another story because the real packet overhead versus data is just a guess.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:29 am

I have installed IPTRAF and IPTOTALs and between the two I have what I need :-)

Putting the UP and DOWN total bitrate on the standard screen for 039 would still be a good idea though.

Thanks
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Spook » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Just a question - related to Ip Flow Meter and the update that has been done for version FREESCO 0.4.0

Is it possible to back port the web interface to a version that can run
under FREESCO 0.3.6

Would be great.

Tia

Spook
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Is it possible to back port the web interface to a version that can run
under FREESCO 0.3.6
Possible, yes.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Spook » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:35 am

So that's good news if it's possible - in general.

Would anybody be so kind and "invest" this efforts in backporting this new functionalities from the package running under FREESCO 0.4.0 to a package that works under FREESCO 0.3.6

I would appreciate a lot.

Thanks in advance - and a merry Christmas for everyone

Spook
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting