A REAL NTP server?

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:29 am

Has anyone gotten an NTP server setup on Freesco 03x?

I have some machines that are looking for an NTP server and I would like to let Freesco serve the data and not have them goto the internet time servers. Adding software to the machines is not an option.

I see in the forum that this was worked on by Dingetje but there is a warning about having to use GMT +0000. Is this still the issue?

Thank you in advance!
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby G-Man » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:48 pm

think there was a full ntp pkg for freesco
as freesco have it built in sort of also
<b><span style='color:blue'>I'd live life in the fast lane, but I am married to a speed bump.</span></b>
G-Man

Postby dingetje » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:36 pm

Nope FREESCO's time "server" is in reality an NTP time client, and because FREESCO had to fit on a floppy the timezone "database" had to be stripped so the zimezone is implemented by adding or subtracting the time offset as set in FREESCO's setup from the UTC time obtained via the NTP client. So (when time server is enabled) FREESCO's clock is always the correct time, but there is no real NTP protocol implemented to GET the time from FREESCO. The time clients that are available (a linux script and my client for windoze) have a time resolution of 1 second at best, which isn't too bad of course but cannot be compared to the exact time information in the NTP protocol.

Again due to the lack of a timezone on FREESCO any NTP server running on FREESCO must be running in the UTC domain. Having said that I've seen at least one thread in this forum describing howto implement a true time zone on FREESCO. In that case a true NTP server in any desired timezone is a possibility.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:17 pm

Ah. Sorry I missed that thread when I was searching. :blush1:

Back to the search function for me!

Thank you for the response!
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:28 am

It has been a while since I saw that thread. But to do it in FREESCO 0.3.x only requires a single timezone file for your region placed in a specific directory and then set the standard FREESCO offset so 0 "zero". The thread states what directory is needed and also had a link to the various timezone files. Also be aware that the directory location of the timezone is different in 035 as I re compiled the date binary and it looks in a different location /pkg/usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime which ends up /usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime after a "pkg -rescan"
There are also some quirks that happen after installing the timezone file, but they are not enough to offset the advantage of your system changing times when it is supposed to on it's own.
This is actually something that I had considered putting in the zip file so that everyone could install a actual timezone file if they wanted, because just one zonefile isn't really very big (about 1K). But the quirks would need to be resolved first.

Also this is still not a NTP server, but it does correct time in FREESCO for daylight savings.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby nicolaim » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm eager to find out more about what I can do to make my floppy-based 0.3.7 FREESCO automatically adjust for daylight savings time?
Maybe my brain is a little fried at the moment, but I can't seem to find where there's an explanation of what the time zone files in the modules ZIP do?
nicolaim

Postby Lightning » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:23 pm

I can't seem to find where there's an explanation of what the time zone files in the modules ZIP do?

They do just exactly what you are asking. If you copy the correct timezone file for your region to the floppy to the a:\router\tmz directory thern it will automatically adjust for daylight savings time twice every year. It also automatically sets the correct time offset from UTC as well. This is explaned in the release notes to some degree.
As this is a new feature in 037 there hasn't been much discussion about it and with this new feature built in it also allows for a true NTP server package as well if anyone wants to make one and I know that version 4.1.1 will compile on Slackware and maybe even newer versions.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:50 am

...version 4.1.1 will compile...

Ok, I am being dense. Version 4.1.1 of what? NTP server software?

The latest software updates to my Roku pretty much mean I need an NTP server on my network or I need always on internet access or I have to turn off the standby clock.

Plus, I need an NTP server for some PLC programming. I think I can pull time off of a network time server via existing commands and eliminate a RTC card. Right now I can only experiment at work, and it is hard to 'turn the volume down' at work... :rolleyes:
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Re: A REAL NTP server?

Postby funnsoup » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:23 am

I am curious if this has been finished for freesco v .4x?

Would the 4.1.1 version still be an option for compiling?

Thanks,
funnsoup

Re: A REAL NTP server?

Postby Lightning » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 am

With the addition of the timezone file built into the 04x series there is no reason a real NTP server can not be configured to run on FREESCO as a add on package.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting