fsck /dev/hda1/

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

fsck /dev/hda1/

Postby PurpleMeanie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:15 pm

'ello you loverly people... who ever there is left out there in our mad world of Flopppy based routers. Haha... kids of today don't know the fun of installing software from a pile of 15 floppy disks only to find out that the vital 16th floppy is missing.

Anytime I see bandwidth ticking on a download at "7MB/s" I always imaging throwing floppies at people at that speed... :twisted:

Anyway... enough madness. Now a question. Simple *nix question really.

During the bootup of my ancient Freesco 0.4.x I see a warning that my hard disk has corruption that can't be fixed. I am told to run a proper fsck on the disk. How do I run a disk check from within Freesco?

I have Freesco installed to a hard disk which is formatted with EXT2. It would be good to be able to do the check without dismantling the box if possible.

Okay, I am cheating. I am asking with minimal details. I can pull reports, etc if needed. Just this is likely to be a more generic question.

I am also happy to pull the disk and clone it to a new one. Assuming the disk errors are not terminal.
PurpleMeanie

Re: fsck /dev/hda1/

Postby auda » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:48 am

Freesco uses an early version of Slackware 3.1 springs to mind but I maybe wrong. You can get a copy of zipslack here
http://www.waghornswood.net.nz/Freesco/ which I think is what you want and then use it on your drive.
If it was my drive with errors I would use dd to make a copy then use what ever linux you have to try and repair it.
If that fails start again from scratch and make a clone of the fresh install.

Have fun
Auda
auda

Postby Lightning » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:00 pm

The e2fsck program in FREESCO will allow you to use it on the boot partition. I would recommend using "rc_main stop" before you run it or booting in setup mode so that as few applications are running as possible. You will need to use

e2fsck -f /dev/hda1

Alternatively in a worst case scenario you could boot the system from a floppy and install the ext2 package. Then just abort everything and run the e2fsck program on the hard drive while running from a floppy.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby PurpleMeanie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 am

Excellent... thanks for those two methods. I'll run the e2fsck method shortly. I know I need to clone and upgrade when I find some time.

The reality is I don't actually use a classic Hard Disk in my old Freesco box. It's a 1GB Compact Flash card attached to an IDE Converter. So it will eventually be wearing out, time for a swap to a fresh one.
PurpleMeanie

Postby PurpleMeanie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:34 am

You guys have to see this new bit of hardware that someone has created. It is almost as if it if built with Freesco in mind.

Running out of floppy disks? Having problems locating good blank disks? Fed up that 1.4MB isn't quite big enough? Well, someone has developed an answer for us.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/01 ... ldnt_flop/

Hardware that will slot in to your floppy disk drive slot to replace the old floppy drive. It can then take Flash Cards and many other tricks.

What made me laugh is it looks so much like my own FLASH to IDE solution but in an even more Freesco friendly format!
PurpleMeanie

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x