questions about Freesco hardware and max users

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

questions about Freesco hardware and max users

Postby lotus123r5 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:41 am

Hello Freesco Support,

Just have some questions about Freesco and the power that Freesco can handle, say r. 0.45.
1. what is the max. internal memory used by Freesco 0.45.
Let's say i have a system with 4 GB internal memory, does Freesco need all the memory to run the system, or maybe the system is limited to 2 GB or 3 GB or 16 GB or TB or unlimited with internal memory..?
2. The hardware for Freesco 0.45 will be DELL, with a CPU Pentium 2 GHZ (or more proccessor - Are there limits for the processor speed Freesco can handle?)
3. Harddisk will be 80GB (is there a max. of GB/TB disks Freesco can handle if i start with a bigger harddisk?)

last questions.... if i may ask....
4. can Freesco run in a company with:
a. 50 users working at 50 computers at the same time.. or
b. 100 users working at 100 computers at the same time.....
Hmm, the main question is, can Freesco be a router/firewall for small business (say 1 - 100 users) / medium business (say 100 - 500 users), or more?... or is Freesco basically made for home use?...

Not that i have any business, but i just wondering what the power of Freesco is.
I use Freesco (already for a long time, maybe 10 years...) for home use, and i really love Freesco.
Soon i will upgrade to 0.45 to get all the best out of Freesco (even that iam still really satisfied with 0.38)...
will use 0.38 as backup if something goes wrong... :D

about the network cards, i dont have any questions, cause the information is available ... thx!
lotus123r5

Re: questions about Freesco hardware and max users

Postby dingetje » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:15 pm

I may not be able to answer all questions, but here goes:

1. I'm not sure, I leave this one to Lewis to answer
2. The faster the better, afaik there's no upper limit.
3. There is a max. but it's in the TB range (there used to be a limit in older FREESCO versions). 80GB is not an issue for any version of FREESCO.
4. There may be issues with that many users with the available connections, specially if (aggressive) torrent clients are used. Those will eventually eat up all the available outgoing connections. FREESCO is limited to ~50K simultaneous outgoing connections. Correct me if I'm wrong.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Glad to see Dingetje around :D

1. The current kernels available for FREESCO are all compiled with a memory limit of just under 1GB. However a custom kernel could be compiled to use up to 2GB. Also depending on the motherboard you may have to add memory size into the boot parameters, but it is likely the system will see it on it's own.

2. As stated by Dingetje there is no limit on the processor. However be aware the multi core processors will not use more than a single core unless you use one of the custom SMP processors and the ones that are currently compiled only support 2 cores. Again a new custom kernel could be compiled to support more.

3. With the 04x kernels there is no 1TB limit, however justdave who added the code into the kernel to support larger drives did not recommend single partitions when getting into that range. Also be aware that there has been almost no testing of drives that size.

4. Already answered.

I know there are no questions about network cards. However I would STRONGLY recommend using one of the GB RTL8169 or similar network cards. The benefits of the card even on a 100MB network system is noticeable.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:56 am

Hello Dingetje and Lewis,

Thx so much for the info. So 1 GB internal memory is (more then) enough to run Freesco on full speed.
About the network card. The GB RTL8169 or similar network cards is = 10/100/1000M rj-45 Realtek 8169 tg-3269c gigabit ethernet lan netwerkkaart?
i find 2 sites and will be lots of more that offer these cards,.. can you please confirm if the sites mentioned are OK to use with Freesco:

1. http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/100-Pcs-B ... 80966.html
2. http://www.bol.com/nl/p/tp-link-tg-3269 ... 012364374/

Thx again!
i have another question, but will post that one as new topic....
lotus123r5

Postby Lightning » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:49 pm

I have a couple of SMC9452tx-1 that use the RTL8169SC chip and they work perfect for me. So the $15 TP-Link should work perfect.

As a side note, I would be more than willing to send you guaranteed working GB cards for $500 :shock:
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:20 am

..."As a side note, I would be more than willing to send you guaranteed working GB cards for $500"
@ if you have 100 on stock ... :roll: :D

Thanks again for the info! anyway, i will go for the tp-link you advise... :wink:
lotus123r5

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x