Enable Connectivity from LAN to internal host-only networks

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Enable Connectivity from LAN to internal host-only networks

Postby lexone » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:42 pm

I am using FreeSCO as a virtual router in my nested vSphere lab environment. Freesco has 2 network adapters connected (1 - connected to my LAN, the other connected to a vSwitch with zero uplinks aka physical NICs). I have firewall & NAT on and can ping my LAN and get to the internet from a VM on an internal network as it passes the traffic thru the first NIC. However, I cannot ping the same VM from my personal PC or any other PC/laptop on my LAN. How can I accomplish this? Is there a setting I need to adjust? Turning off NAT/Firewall completely loses connectivity to my lab environment.
lexone

Re: Enable Connectivity from LAN to internal host-only netwo

Postby Lightning » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:28 pm

In order to pass traffic back from your network you will need to turn off the NAT/Firewall. However the reason that you loose connectivity is most likely a routing issue. If FREESCO is not the default gateway, which it would be for the internal machines then the other machines would not know to route traffic trough it for the network they are not connected to directly.

So with the NAT firewall turned off the individual machines have to a "route" added for the traffic to the unknown network listed as the IP of the interface IP they are directly connected to. Otherwise they will always just be sent to the default gateway. But this only applies to machines that do not have there default gateway set as FREESCO's IP connected to there network.

Past that I would need a report and very specific IP addresses of each machine you are talking about.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lexone » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:26 pm

I managed to come up with a solution in order to leave the NAT/Firewall turned on and still pass communication through the router. What I did was add a vmkernel (vmk) port to the port group which updated the routing table on the ESXi host, then edit the /etc/hosts file on the ESXi host with static info for each machine in the network. :D
lexone

Postby Lightning » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:19 pm

That method had not occurred to me, but I don't really have much dealings with virtual machines. Glad you figured it out and posted your solution. :wink:
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x