SSH client ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

SSH client ...

Postby bob selby » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 am

I have run into a bit of a problem in that I can no longer SSH from my 040 box into my "nas4free" file server because they have upgraded the SSHD and that "fixes" some security issues.

The result is that whenever I do "ssh <servername>" it responds "no kex alg".

Is there any way I can update the OpenSSH to fix this ??

There is a way around it by using something like MobaXterm which allows tunneling through my 040 box to reach the nas4free server - but that wont allow me to be on the 040 box console and ssh to nas4free so it's not a perfect solution.

TIA
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: SSH client ...

Postby Lightning » Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 am

I am assuming that connections with other clients do work?
And that you are certain the RSA and DSA keys are generated and in use on the nas4free machine?

But from a brief cursory look around the web I am unsure of the exact problem. However changing the configuration on the server seems to be the consensus as it may be asking for a key type that it not available in all clients.

FREESCO actually uses an old version of Dropbear as the SSH client and for the server. The older version was seriously patched with a lot of newer patches put in place manually, but a basic upgrade of the version is not possible to a programming change that made int incompatible with a lib5 system. Which I spoke directly to the developer about and continued to make manual patches for it.

However I am unsure if newer versions of OpenSSH will compile as I have not attempted it in years.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Wed May 13, 2015 4:55 am

OK - Many thanks.

>> I am assuming that connections with other clients do work?
Yes

>> And that you are certain the RSA and DSA keys are generated and in use on the nas4free machine?
Yes

My understanding is that they have dropped "certain insecure key exchange algorithms".

Oh well, never mind, I have a workaround for now :-)

BTW Is FREESCO now essentially "Frozen" - or is there likely to be another release ?

All the best
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Thu May 14, 2015 9:02 pm

BTW Is FREESCO now essentially "Frozen" - or is there likely to be another release ?
That is a good question, which has no definitive answer. Do to specific personal issues I have not had the energy or time to do any development. However I do have a 0.4.6 version with some very minor changes on my own system right now. I have also advertised to try and get someone else interested in taking over developing a lib6 system. So "Frozen" is not completely accurate, but slowed to the point of not seeing movement would probably be pretty close. :wink:

I know how much work will be required to convert to a lib6 system even though a high percentage of custom scripting can be used from the existing system. But after 15 years of development and support I do not have the drive to accomplish it. I am however willing to help anyone wanting to take on the challenges and there are no other systems built as lightweight and flexible as FREESCO is.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Fri May 15, 2015 2:23 am

I fully understand :-)

Thanks for all the hard work/advice and help over the years :-)

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x