045 CDROM images die after boot and floppies will not boot?

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

045 CDROM images die after boot and floppies will not boot?

Postby CDFiXER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:23 pm

When booting 045 via the CDROM image, I get all the way through the first part of the boot process but when the scripting runs to start loading the 'stuff' that makes this FREESCO, I get an error about not able to load/see the hda (or something similar, suspect it is not loading a ramdrive), then end up with a command prompt (after logging in as root). It appears the home, drv, and some other directories are corrupted/not intact/something. I tried downloading the 045 package twice. Burned one from a Linux box and another one from a Windows box. Tried to boot the image on two different machines, same issue. Used a disc with an 044 image on it, both boxes work perfectly.

Also tried a floppy. Can not get 045 from either downloaded 'source' (IE made one floppy on Windows and another on the Linux box) to get past the syslinux message then get 'Boot Failed', that's it. Again, 044 works fine on both test boxes.

I do have a 045 beta copy I can try but thought I would check with the community before wasting another disc or messing with another floppy.

Thanks!
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Re: 045 CDROM images die after boot and floppies will not bo

Postby Lightning » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 pm

I am not sure of the problem, however the latest version of 0.4.5 does use a different kernel than previous releases and it may have issues with your hardware. Using the ramdisk from 045 on a 044 floppy will work or using an earlier kernel on the 045 floppy or CD should also work.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Sorry about the delay in responding, I thought I had this tagged to send a response to my email.

I wasn't very clear, those directories are simply not in the downloaded 045 image. I even tried running the CDR's on my existing box that has been running 044 for years. I tried on 3 different motherboards, all of which have ran other versions of Freesco just fine. One of them even ran some of the 045 beta's for several months. Not to be disrespectful but are you positive the image stored @ Source Forge is OK?
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:30 am

I will double check the images, however which version are you using?
There is a .zip, .exe and a .tar.gz and each one is separate and composed in different formats using the same source files (supposedly) :roll: . But it is always possible I missed one somehow.

With regards to the CD image, in reality there is a boot/ directory structure on the disk. Buit everything else is built into a boot floppy image. So to really look at it you have to use something like power ISO to extract the floppy boot image.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:39 pm

I burnt the "freesco-0.4.5.iso" from the 045 package.

Here is the play-by-play :)

The CDR boots, I get the 'regular' menu screen from a typical Freesco install disc or installation.

As per the "make_CD.txt" file, I enter 'setup' in preparation of making a running RAM resident installation I can copy via ftp to another box.

Tux diagonals across the screen to the lower right corner.

In yellow print I get "Mounting boot device........ -"

In red directly below the above, I get, "Boot media or drive problem"

Then in white text: "-login:"

All machines I have tried this with have at minimum 128MB of RAM. All run 044 w/o issue. One ran every 045 beta I was involved with. I suspect bad/corrupted RAM drive but I have tried downloading twice and on two machines and I got exactly the same file sizes.

Thank you for any help!
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:42 pm

...aaand apparently I can not process what I am asked.

I tried using the *.zip on a Windoze machine and the gunzipped one on an Ubuntu based machine.

Thanks again!
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:12 pm

So no one else has a problem with the images?
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:38 am

Try this ------> Link removed, see below to get the files.
Let me know when you have it and I will remove the link.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Grabbed it, burnt it, verified the burn, will try an installation this weekend and report back.

Thank you!
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Looks like you got it!

Ran the new ISO burnt CDR through its paces: let it boot into the installed Freesco, went into setup, messed around with the other menu choices, poked around in the directory structure, and watched as everything booted. All worked as it should and looked as it should.

Thank you!
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:30 pm

I re-uploaded the repaired files to http://freesco.sourceforge.net/ so everyone can get it if they want.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x