Allow external file upload to my Freesco?

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Allow external file upload to my Freesco?

Postby Island » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:30 am

Our FREESCO box provides the simple in-built web server, and we have occasionally used it to make downloads available using the password-protection features. That works fine with normal browsers that people have, because they can click on an explicit URL that we povide for them eg:

http://www.ourdomain.tld/fileforyou/abc.doc

Is there any way to allow a specific person to upload a file to our FREESCO, subject to using a password for access to our FREESCO, using the in-built web server?

I realise we could enable SSH externally, and people could login and cp a file from their system to ours, but
(a) I don't want to enable ssh logins externally
(b) I don't need encryption
(c) the person only has a Windows system with (presumably) IE
(d) is not a techie and has no idea about CLI or Linux and will just about cope with a simple upload dialogue in their browser.

Is this possible? In the meantime I'll try to answer my own question by looking at the documentation for the in-built http server, anyway.

regards, Island
Island
Junior Advanced Member

Re: Allow external file upload to my Freesco?

Postby Lightning » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:24 am

Yes it is possible, what you need to look for is a CGI script for doing what you want. Normal shell scripting will work but if you need or want you can install the perl package for more complex scripting. Then you can password protect the directory where that script is located with a .htpasswd file to limit access to the script.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x