Using Raid.. howto please

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Using Raid.. howto please

Postby John S » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Lightning

searching the forum reveals about a dozen reference to Raid on Freesco..
the most useful of which is ...

Re: NAS Features
Postby Lightning » 15 Mar 2012, 14:49
Hmmmmm, just a question. Have you considered raid?
Since v0.4.3 FREESCO has software raid capabilities and multiple drives can be combined into one drive and the size of each drive does not matter. Linear just combines drives, In raid0 with two or more drives and an increase in access speeds or raid5 with three or more drives to increase speed and redundancy what you are asking could be done and it would just look like one drive. I just use raid1 as redundancy for my data and with old drives it is usually needed.

tells me it is possible to do what I want .. but not how..

about to build a new box using 045.. and would like to put a couple of 1T drives in it using Raid 1..

How do I go about using the built in Raid capabilities..?

a mini HowTo would be good.

Rgds John
Rgds ...John S
John S

Re: Using Raid.. howto please

Postby Lightning » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:08 pm

The first thing to consider is to put the drives on different cables in the machine. This is because of bandwidth issues on IDE controllers. This will usually end up being hda and hdc once they are formatted. Secondly you must use a raid enabled kernel. This is included in the CD version of FREESCO, but not on the floppy image by default. Then once you have these things done it is just a matter of booting FREESCO and installing the ext2 package. The ext2 package will auto detect that you have multiple drives and a raid enabled kernel and ask if you want to configure raid. What will end up is that you will need to fdisk both drives and configure a very small (2MB) primary partition for booting on hda1 and a second partition for the rest of the drive as a autodetect raid partition on hda2, which is type 'FD' from within fdisk. You will need to configure the second drive as well for raid exactly as the first for raid1. Once finished with fdisk you will need to format the partitions, both primary bootable partitions will just be strait ext2. However when you format the raid partition you will need to use the md# that you have configured for the raid. Most likely it will be /dev/md1, but it will be what ever you have configured it to be.
Once completed it should work as expected, hopefully :roll:
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby John S » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks for quick response.. (something most other forums I visit can't be congratulated on )

Raid.. Sounds simple enough..

I actually have a couple of SATA drives that will be connected via ATA <-> SATA converters..
I like using the older hardware as power consumption is trivial :) compared to some new costly .. zillions of MegaFlops boxes. :lol:

Will give it a go this weekend..

Rgds John
Rgds ...John S
John S

Postby Lightning » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks for quick response.. (something most other forums I visit can't be congratulated on )
I appreciate the acknowledgement. I strive to never let any post go unanswered and usually within a day as I try to check the forum almost every day. :wink:

I will say that setting up raid is REALLY easy once you have done it successfully once. I also recommend downloading FREESCO again from SourceForge as there has been a slight update since the initial release. :D
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x