DynDns no longer free ... :-(

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

DynDns no longer free ... :-(

Postby bob selby » Mon May 13, 2013 2:39 am

Given a recent email from Dyn ...

"Starting now, if you would like to maintain your free Dyn account, you must log into your account once a month. Failure to do so will result in expiration and loss of your hostname. This activity helps us eliminate hostnames that are no longer needed and/or dormant. Note that using an update client will no longer suffice for this monthly login.

We understand that the possibility of resulting service interruptions may be frustrating, so we are offering a one-time transition upgrade to VIP status (Dyn Pro) for just $10 USD. Under this status, login will not be required and service will remain uninterrupted for an entire year."

I assume the $10 fee is a on-off-special and it will revert to their normal charge structures ($25 ??) after a year.

Given my very low usage of the facility I'd prefer to find a free alternative ... do any of the other "dynamic dns" facilities supported via 4.x still offer a free account ??

TIA
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: DynDns no longer free ... :-(

Postby Lightning » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 pm

It is entirely possible that the others do offer free accounts, but I have not seriously checked into any of them because of my own personal needs. I currently use freedns.afraid.org because I needed a premium account and the owner was willing to give me one for a small amount of advertising. But they do provide basic accounts free of charge. Of course the problem with this is that it is only supported in 0.4.5 and I have not released it yet. If necessary for you I could create a patch that would add the support into an older version of FREESCO if others don't reply to this thread with other suggestions.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Sat May 18, 2013 12:01 pm

http://www.noip.com/ still has a free service. It's limited to 5 domain names I believe, but that's usually more than enough.

I have a NoIP update client available for FREESCO, but haven't packaged it for 04x yet.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 pm

I packaged version 2.1.9 of the NoIP client in 2011 which supports encrypted updates as I recall, just type "pkg" and install it. Of course I think the stock update script will also keep it updated without encryption.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Thanks for the info (and the pkg) ...

Postby bob selby » Mon May 20, 2013 5:11 am

I'll try to give it a test at some point, tho' given the workload at work it may be some time :-(
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:45 am

The client works a treat - tho' I did alter the "update" frequency from once a month to every 15 days as I found I was getting warning expiry emails from them.

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Speedy Lan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:19 am

To my dismay I was too late recently,to see one of the monthly emails that dyndns sends when my account is about to be terminated and if I want to keep it by clicking the link.
So now my long-held domain on .homeip.net was gone :(

I went to .tk http://www.dot.tk/en/index.html?lang=en and made a new one.

The guys on no-ip have the same annoying habit of wanting a monthly renewal that I have to take care of.
(This one I still have, but since I like the .TK quite a bit, I might drop that one also.)

DynDNS was surly (one of) the best for a free domain redirects but since they changed their policy (to make more money, I guess) it has lost that place in my eyes.

Hope everyone is doing ok and perhaps this info is useful for someone.

All the best,

SpeedyLan
Low lag, High bandwidth 8-)
Speedy Lan

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x