Ghosting Freesco Drive

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Ghosting Freesco Drive

Postby rsodos » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 am

I have a perfectly running Freesco Firewall that as a newbie took me quite a while to get going the way I wanted. It is working perfectly and I have Lightning to thank for that. So I have tried to ghost the image up to a ghost server and have been successful. However when I bring the image back to a different hard drive and install it in another machine that is almost exactly the same type of PC I get Boot media problem and it stops. I thought it would be easy to do this. No luck. I assumed that the Freesco Router would not be as motherboard dependent as a Windows OS. I have tried it with 2 good drives and both fail the same way. What am I missing? I really need to have this system backed up somehow so if the hardware ever fails I don't have to go through what I went through originally to get all the functionality i have. I wish I had saved the orignal floppy it was first configured on but i cannot find it. Is there a way to copy it back to a floppy for backup. Or is there some other way to back up. I do have the report.txt but I am afraid that the fact that this was very complicated for me I would have to go through the headache all over again if I needed to rebuild.
HELP!
rsodos

Re: Ghosting Freesco Drive

Postby Lightning » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:58 pm

There is a simple solution to your problem, which I am guessing is because you are using the ext2 file format and booting from Lilo.

After creating the new drive put in a floppy that is configured at least far enough to get online. Then install the ext2 package to the floppy and use the "r" (repair-lilo) option in the setup or from a command line use "rc_ext2 repait-lilo". After completing this step just exit and reboot the machine from the hard drive.

The reason EXT2 Lilo systems can not be Ghosted without this problem is because Lilo uses the exact physical location of the kernel and ramdisk on the drive and Ghost copies all of the files. But it does not put them in the exact same place other than the boot loader it's self.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby rsodos » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Lightning,
Again please excuse my ignorance but I am having trouble formatting the floppy to a Linux file system. It has been a long time since I have done this. Not sure exactly how. Also where do I get the ext2 package and how do I put on the floppy. Then how do I move it to the hard drive so i dont hose the router. I am a little nervous as I don't want to mess things up too bad. I know you must be a busy guy helping all these people but if i couold have some detail i sure would be in your debt.

Ron Sodos
rsodos

Postby rsodos » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Lightning
I just read an old post of yours where you said you don't recommend using DOS. I have always been using the Freesco Router in a DOS formatted hard disk that runs the router from the autoexec.bat file. After reading through a number of posts I am wondering if the ext2 repair will still work as a fix for my problem. If not how do I fix???
Ron Sodos
rsodos

Postby Lightning » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:25 am

Ok, I have miss understood what you have installed. The repair-lilo will NOT help in any way for your problem. Secondly I am not sure exactly why you are having a problem. I have used Ghost a LOT of times and there should never be any issue using it with FREESCO on a DOS file system.
My only guess at this point is that the hard drive you are installing the Ghost image onto has had some other type of boot agent on it that is causing a problem. My recommendation is to download a Win9x boot disk image and run "fdisk /mbr" on the drive. This will repair the Master Boot Record on the drive and could possibly solve your problem. Regardless in a worst case scenario it will not do anything. Which if that happens you may consider making another image of the disk to try and install. Another option to repair a DOS boot problem is to get the "sys" binary from the DOS command set. The "sys" binary is not on a 9x boot floppy, but it is present in a running 9x system and can be copied to a 9x boot floppy. The "sys" command is a non destructive command and just copies the system boot files and makes the disk bootable without damaging any other components. I also strongly recommend using a 9x system no newer than plain 98 because 98se needs highmen to run scandisk on the drive and plain 98 or less does not. Which when loading highmem forces a reboot before FREESCO can be ran.

As for the ext2 file system, I recommend using ext2 over a DOS file system with FREESCO for a number of reasons, which are: The file system is self defragmenting, the file system is native to Linux so it is MUCH faster, the file system has built in repair tools once installed in FREESCO. The down side to all of this is that you have to start from scratch if you are using a DOS file system now. As for how to install it. You just create a FREESCO floppy from the disk image and configure it. Then once it is online you run the "setup" and go into the package menu and install the ext2 package from the menu to create an ext2 hard drive install.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby rsodos » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 am

Last night I configured a new floppy firewall and got it to work. I configured all my settings except installing the knock package. I figured I would do that after running movhdd. What I need now is to know how to set up the drive to use the ext2 file system instead of DOS. right now the hard drive is formatted for DOS and if i run movhdd it will be just like before.

Ron Sodos
rsodos

Postby Lightning » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Boot the floppy and as soon as you log in run the "setup" and go to the package manu. The last option is to install the ext2 package on the floppy. This has to be done at every boot of the floppy because the package just loads into the ramdisk and memory. The package will give you an option to move to the hard drive and create an ext2 file system.

The first thing in the package you will need to use "cfdisk" and remove any existing file system. Then create a new file system and by default it will be ext2. For most systems I do NOT recommend creating any swap partition. Make sure and make the drive "bootable" and "write" the information to the disk before you exit the cfdisk utility. You then format the drive using ext2 and move the floppy to it. For the most part it is mostly automatic and reasonably self explanatory. Just remember if for any reason you need to reboot the floppy you will need to install the ext2 package again and the floppy must be connected to the Internet.

If for any reason when you get done the hard drive shows "LI" at boot time rather than booting. You need to use a win9x boot disk and run "fdisk /mbr" from the 9x floppy. You will then also needf to reboot the FREESCO floppy and install the ext2 package again and run the "repair-lilo" option on the drive.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby rsodos » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Well again I have to thank you for all your help. I followed your directions and everything is up and running. I did have to reinstall ext2 and then run the lilo repair. Now its running correctly. I was able to reinstall the knock package and actually copy the knockd.conf file via ftp from my old system.

Thanks again
Ron Sodos
rsodos

Postby Lightning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:24 pm

I did have to reinstall ext2 and then run the lilo repair.
I was pretty sure that you would need to because of the other issues you were having and because I was pretty sure that the drive had some other type of boot loader than just DOS.
I am glad you now have the system running on an ext2 partition. I think you will be pleased with the file system stability and performance over a long period of time.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x