Down ethernet routing when i copy big files

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Down ethernet routing when i copy big files

Postby Zhekator » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:55 am

Hello!
When i copy some files (localy, samba, ftp), router starting to lose ping packages(or ping time is increasing up to 4 seconds). Eventually routing drops down. I can connect localy (with ssh), but no routing to the internet. "rc_net restart" resumes internet routing.
Any one has some ideas how to solve this problem?
Router maked on HDD ext2.
Zhekator

Re: Down ethernet routing when i copy big files

Postby Lightning » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:58 pm

A report.txt would be helpful to diagnose any system/hardware issues.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Zhekator » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:53 am

Sorry for my long delay.
I attach report.txt:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zhekator

Postby Lightning » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:21 am

eth0: RealTek RTL8139C Fast Ethernet at 0xd400, IRQ 5, 00:50:22:b1:30:2d.
eth1: RealTek RTL8139C Fast Ethernet at 0xd800, IRQ 9, 00:50:22:b1:30:23.
unfortunately you have two poor choices for network cards. There are multiple brands of the rtl8139 chip on various brands that some are made better than others with more on board cache. But regardless they are not a bus mastering card. The one thing that you can do other than putting some good network cards in the machine like Intel eepro100 or a 3c905 or even a new Netgear GA311 Gigabit card is to go into the BIOS and reserve IRQ5. Network cards in general will have problems using an IRQ below IRQ9. So try to get your cards on IRQ 9 and 10 or 10 and 11 would be even better.

The reason for this is IRQ priority order and when one is set to IRQ5 it will dominate the other card and cause it to malfunction. Better cards will usually over ride this type of problem as well but even they like higher IRQ's. Any single card will run on any system, but when all traffic must pass through two or more cards it makes a difference as to the card quality which translates into the CPU load and interval time it needs to process data.

If the above still does not help, then make sure the cards are side by side in the PCI slots with no separation between them and see if it helps. If one is an on board card then move the other one in a PCI slot over one slot.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x