Setting up Freesco as a DHCP server .

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Setting up Freesco as a DHCP server .

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:38 am

This is I would like to do :

Freesco box <---> Switch <---> Client 1
<---> Client 2

Now , the Freesco box is not to have any internet connection .
I want the Freesco box to be a standalone DHCP server
Client 1 is in fact a server that has a preset factory default as DHCP client and the interface is either Fujitsu IRMC or the HP ILO.
Client 2 is my laptop and is set as a DHCP client .
So , I want Freesco to give both client 1 and 2 each a different ip adress and I want to be able to the connect to the other client.
I have been tinkering around trying to make this work without success before .
But I guess this is super simple and I am just being stupid .

Regards , Peter
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Re: Setting up Freesco as a DHCP server .

Postby Lightning » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:39 pm

FREESCO is designed to do this, just set FREESCO in "server" mode and set the DHCP server in "r" (Remote) mode. Make sure that the real gateway to the Internet is configured in FREESCO. If there is no actual Internet connection then you can just use any un-used IP address as the gateway. If FREESCO is already configured as an "Ethernet Router" then you can go into the advanced settings and turn the firewall OFF to turn it into server mode.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:47 am

I must be doing something wrong since the dhcp server won't start .
Added a report .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:45 am

I suspect it won't start because you don't have any DNS servers defined. Even a bogus entry will probably work for just one DNS server.
DNSDDR= #Primary DNS
DNSDDR1= #Second
DNSDDR2= #Third
DNSDDR3= #Fourth
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 am

It worked great ! :D
An old Toshiba Portege 3020 running Freesco 0.4.3 with the pcmcia package .
The DHCP server was fast and very effective !
Freesco still has it edges !

Regards , Peter
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm

A few more questings ,

Does a lease time block another lease time ?
What I think about if my DHCP server only has one ipadress , and a client is removed (by removing the cable) is there a problem for the dhcp server to give out the same adress to another client on immediately?
Or can I trim this ?

Another question is if it possible to manual set a static adress to eth0 just temporarly - or can I have both a DHCP server mode and a static mode in Freesco ?
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 pm

What I think about if my DHCP server only has one ipadress , and a client is removed (by removing the cable) is there a problem for the dhcp server to give out the same adress to another client on immediately?

You will have a LOT of problems if your server is setup to only issue a single IP address and I am not certain it will work at all
Or can I trim this ?
I would say if you reduce lease times to only a few seconds then connected machines will just spend all there time renewing there IP when connected.
Another question is if it possible to manual set a static address to eth0 just temporary - or can I have both a DHCP server mode and a static mode in Freesco ?
Are you talking about using DHCP for the connection on eth0 or are you somehow referring to the DHCP server which can not be set as static. You can enable the DHCP client for eth0 in the network setup.

I suspect that you may need to explain exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish for us to resolve what you are trying to do.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:44 am

I have a lot of servers that have a remote console that needs to be configured called ILO (HP) , IRMC (Fujistu,Dell) .
So , to configure ILO/IRMC , i need either to reboot the server and set the ipadress or use a dhcp server .
I use a cross over cable and use Freesco in dhcp server mode and ssh into the ILO/IRMC interface and set a static adress .

Problem 1,
When attempting to do this on seven eight servers , three refused to get an ipadress .
Freesco was configured to use three ipadresses so I guess that it had something to do with the lease time .
And I am unsure if I should set up Freesco to more or less ipadresses to make this work .

Problem 2 ,
When a static ipadress i set , I would like to check that works - so I have proof of this .
In other words , would simply like to inactive the dhcp server and take up eth0 with a static interface .
After that , I check that the ipadress has been correct and ssh to it .
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Static DHCP leases are very easy to configure in FREESCO for the servers that you want to have a static IP. The primary issue with static IPs is that the IP addresses that you set must NOT be in the dynamic IP range. So if you set a dynamic range like 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.20 then the static IPs must be 192.168.0.21 and above or below 192.168.0.10
If you just want all static IPs then just leave the dynamic range blank. But it is always a good idea to have a few leases available.

It is simple to get the information about your servers MAC addresses from within the dhcpd.leases file to set the IP's to static in the dhcp.cfg file. But unless this is done in the control panel you need to be sure and delete the current lease from the leases file when you do it before you restart the DHCP server.

Also after editing the /etc/dhcp.cfg file be sure to copy that file to /boot/etc/ so it will survive a reboot.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x