Need Help with setting up router in Freesco

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Need Help with setting up router in Freesco

Postby v_2nas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:05 am

Hi All,

I need experts assistance in setting up Freesco Router in vmware workstation 7.1 with 2 NIC adapter. I came across this link link (basically trying to do routing between multiple AD subnet/Sites) http://www.activedir.org/Articles/tabid ... fault.aspx from where i reached here.

I am able to boot the Freesco in vmware environment but after that i don't know what to do. I am a windows guy.
After getting into the Ethernet Router mode, how do i find to which ethernet interface NIC's are connected and which interface needs to be configure from 0 - 9. How do enable routing between the network, like 10.x.x.x and 192.168.0.x
Any help (step by step) on setting the router between network will save me from using windows based RRAS.

I wish i knew some linux.

Regards,
v-2nas
v_2nas

Re: Need Help with setting up router in Freesco

Postby Lightning » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:51 pm

What version of FREESCO are you using ?

For instructions the version is somewhat important. Also I am in the process of creating a new VMware image of 0.4.3 for another user who has an old version of FREESCO they are currently trying to use in a VMware environment. It will be available later today for download.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby v_2nas » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks for replying. I am using the latest one. I downloaded freesco from the site. The version on it is v0.4.3

Regards,
v-2nas
v_2nas

Postby Lightning » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 pm

After getting into the Ethernet Router mode, how do i find to which ethernet interface NIC's are connected and which interface needs to be configure from 0 - 9. How do enable routing between the network, like 10.x.x.x and 192.168.0.x
Any help (step by step) on setting the router between network will save me from using windows based RRAS.
By default FREESCO is always configured as a router and routing between subnets is an automatic thing. As for figuring out which interface is which is a small matter of trial and error. It is also dependent on how the interfaces are configured in VMware. Normally you should use 'bridged' mode which is the default in VMware when adding an ethernet adapter.

First things first, figuring out which interface is which.

In the setup configure a static IP address and subnet for eth0. Something like 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
exit and save the setup. Then from a command line use these commands.
Code: Select all
rc_net restart
ping 192.168.0.1

NOTE: When FREESCO is pinging that IP address it will light the transmit or receive light on that card. So what ever light is flashing on with each ping attempt is eth0. Then use "CTRL+c" to stop the ping process.

Past these steps I really can't help much more without a detailed explanation of what you want FREESCO to do. Because in your first statement you are showing routing between two private subnets and if you setup FREESCO as an ethernet router it will assume than NETWORK0 is facing the Internet and ir will be a firewall. So traffic will only really go through it in one direction. Which for two private subnets won't really work as most people want it to. So please be very detailed on what the internal machines will want to do as well as what FREESCO should do along with how they will all connect to the Internet if at all.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x