Modem questions -VMWare player and standalone

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Re: Modem questions -VMWare player and standalone

Postby Lightning » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 pm

To make it esx compatible it must use a SCSI hard disk and because I did not use a SCSI compatible kernel I removed the hard disk and CD support from within the server. The .vmdk file is in reality the hard disk file and that is why it is removed. The problem really is that on newer VMware systems they did something to the program to access hyperthreading and newer CPU features which breaks the machine for the 2.0.40 kernel in the late 03x and 04x versions of FREESCO. If you are using VMworkstation it gives you some CPU options that can be enabled to stop this type of error. But in the player those options are not available and thus you should use something like VMplayer 2.0.0

Even newer versions of VMworkstation have the same problem and that is why I use VMworkstation 6.0.0 instead of the newer versions.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Susan G » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:32 am

Hooray! :D

I installed VMWare Player 2.0.0, and I can now load FREESCO-044.vmx without errors. Now I'll have to play with the configuration some, but this is a big step forward (I hope;)).

Thanks so much, Lightning!

-Susan
Susan G

Postby Lightning » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:44 am

I created another VMware system. This time it does NOT have any of the various compatibility modes enabled. I also used a floppy disk image and made a hard drive install out of it. That way you will not be limited by the floppy disk space and can install just about any packages and other things that you may want on it. It also has all of the various capabilities availible as well such as ten network cards, 4 serial ports and a parallel port.

The requirement of course is to put it on a VMplayer such as 2.0.0 or VMworkstation 6.0.0 and for anyone else reading this, NEWER is NOT better in this case.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby justdave » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:31 am

FYI. I have had no luck getting current versions of FREESCO running with current versions of VMWare. I started using VirtualBox and that seems to work okay.

dave
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby strampke » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:05 pm

I am happy with Virtualbox too.
Who knows knows, who doesn't doesn't.
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Postby TheRealAnubis » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi,

I also have a replayTV with the dial up modem.. I've been trying to get it up and running without much luck. I got a used external US robotics 56K faxmodem, I've followed the instructions for .32, and it updates the clock in Freesco, so I think it's connecting to the internet no problem. I've connected the modem to the serial port, it's detected, I've tried ATZ, AT&F1, etc. but it won't even dial unless I connect the phone line first. I have the option turned off on the replayTV to wait for dialtone. I was trying to get it at least connecting before I attempted the vmware solution. The modem has 8 switches on the back, and I've set them to the 'defaults' according to a document that I found online here:

http://www.usr.com/support/5686/5686-fi ... 603-ig.pdf

That's my model, 00568603.

It says that the TELCO jack is the one that hooks to the phone outlet in the wall, and that's where I've been connecting my replayTV, although I've tried both ports with no luck.

When I connect the replayTV to the other input, and connect the phone line to the wall, the replayTV will at least try to dial, otherwise I hear nothing.

Should I just go straight to the vmware and try from there, or should I at least see if it will connect through the ethernet first (while the service is still up)?
TheRealAnubis

Postby Lightning » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

It is possible t6o connect two machines directly frokm modem to modem. You then also must change the script in the dial-in (RAS) server. Here is an artical talking about connecting two modems. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-26.html

The way to see what the ReplayTV is sending is to use 'minicom'. Something like this from a command line
Code: Select all
minicom  /dev/cua1
ATA (Enter)

/dev/cua1 is assuming your modem is connected to cua1. Also you MUST use '.~(Enter)' = "Dot Tilde Enter" to stop minicom.

Then start the ReplayTV connection process. You should see what is being sent and if you reply to each command with 'OK (Enter)' until the last one which you would send or see 'connect'.
Write down each step of what you see and what you enter and post it here. This is something that I can probably make a new feature for pretty easy in the next version of FREESCO.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby TheRealAnubis » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 am

Hi,

After entering minicom /dev/cua0 it sits there for about 10 seconds (I can't enter the ATZ)
Next, I start the force net connect on the replayTV, which does a countdown
The minicom screen reads: (without any input from me)

AT

ATZ

ATA

NO CARRIER

Carrier lost
Disconnected

If I change the init string to AT&F1 I get:

AT

ATZ

OK

Carrier lost
Disconnected

Also, what suggestions do you have regarding the script in RAS server? I'm not sure what to do there... (I don't see it in the selections in the advanced setup)

I tried hitting OK between these results as well, with no difference.
TheRealAnubis

Postby Lightning » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Changing the INIT string should not effect minicom in any real way other than setting the factory defaults for the modem.
In minicom you may not see anything happen when you type and all that means is that the 'echo' command is not configured in the modem. It does NOT however mean that the modem is not receiving your commands. If you type 'ata (Enter)' the modem should instantly start a negotiation process regardless of whether you see it shown to you or not. To turn on the 'echo' command set use

ATE1 (Enter)

At this point you should start seeing everything and can try 'ATA'
Also, what suggestions do you have regarding the script in RAS server?

Unfortunately at this point I really don't have enough information to really help you much. The first thing is what version of FREESCO are we talking about and then we will need to know what command set is needed to get connected in the first place.

Most likely if you know the entire connection sequence for what ReplayTV is sending and what the proper response is then you can just configure the 'null modem' in the newest version of FREESCO to connect with it. Which means the default system without any serious changes. But we will need to figure out how to get the modem into 'ata' mode so it will negotiate a connection and probably change some time outs.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby TheRealAnubis » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Ok, I will try that later tonight.
I'm using Freesco .32 because that is the one that matches the directions online. I didn't see an 'r' option in the newest version, so I just went with what was covered.

Thanks, and I'll keep trying.. I'm not sure what the command set is, but if there are people (like Susan G) that have them working already, then maybe they could pitch in and give me a hint.

Thanks,

Wes
TheRealAnubis

Postby Lightning » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm not sure what the command set is,
Using minicom the command set is the words sent and received to and from the modem until a 'connect' is seen.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Susan G » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:30 pm

TheRealAnubis wrote:Ok, I will try that later tonight.
I'm using Freesco .32 because that is the one that matches the directions online. I didn't see an 'r' option in the newest version, so I just went with what was covered.

Thanks, and I'll keep trying.. I'm not sure what the command set is, but if there are people (like Susan G) that have them working already, then maybe they could pitch in and give me a hint.

Thanks,

Wes

Hi Wes-

I replied to your post on the AVS forum with a PM yesterday, but maybe you missed it since the default on that board is no email or popup notification. I've just replied over there again.

-Susan
Susan G

Postby Lightning » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:11 pm

I had some time to do some various tests and have come to the conclusion that you can NOT connect modem to modem directly with a standard phone cord. The minimum requirement is to make your own custom phone cord that has voltage on one of the lines. I found this example on how to build such a phone cord. http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html
You will also note that the cable is also a cross over cable and not straight through as standard cables are. This cable still won't have a dial tone, but that can be programmed around with modem commands.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Susan G » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:32 pm

There's a section in the ReplayTV-FREESCO Wiki about testing for modem compatibility here: http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/ReplayTV-FreeSCO#Make_sure_your_modem_is_compatible_with_your_Replay

I was able to get the Showstopper to connect to my modem (Conexant internal) using a MagicJack, and others have had success using a device called a chatcord to supply line voltage. That seems to be required for some external modems as well as all internals.

@TheRealAnubis: That Wiki is an excellent starting place! -- as I PM'ed you, I followed the instructions there, and later (much later!) switched the VMWare Ethernet setting from NAT to Bridged and was able to do a successful Net Connect.

-Susan
Susan G

Previous

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x