Couple of NTP (Network Time Protocol) questions

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Couple of NTP (Network Time Protocol) questions

Postby Island » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:53 pm

I've noticed that FREESCO has an NTP facility and, from the logs, seems to update its time when it reboots. Thinking it could serve 'time' to other machines behind it, I tried with a Vista desktop, but it wouldn't work. I had a couple of questions:

First: does the FREESCO time system 'serve' time to network machines if they ask for it? The Vista machine used UDP on port 123 (ntp?), is that what FREESCO uses if it does 'serve' time to the local network?

Second: how often does FREESCO update its own time from the internet? In the setup - which I just checked again - there doesn't seem to be any user-settable update frequency.

(using FREESCO 0.4.2)

regards, Island
Island
Junior Advanced Member

Re: Couple of NTP (Network Time Protocol) questions

Postby Lightning » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

First: does the FREESCO time system 'serve' time to network machines if they ask for it? The Vista machine used UDP on port 123 (ntp?), is that what FREESCO uses if it does 'serve' time to the local network?
Yes, but not using the built in time client. You must use the 'freeTimeClient' included in the main FREESCO download and the 'Control / Time' server must be enabled on FREESCO.
Second: how often does FREESCO update its own time from the internet? In the setup - which I just checked again - there doesn't seem to be any user-settable update frequency.
By default FREESCO updates it's time any time there is a network update or at boot time. If you want more accurate time you can add a 'synctime' entry into the 'crontab -e' configuration. You also can manually synchronize the time in FREESCO ether from the control panel or from the command line by using 'synctime'

Alternatively to the above if you have FREESCO running on a hard drive you can install a full NTP server that will run from the existing time clients of all OS's.
Code: Select all
pkg -i  -/ntp-4.1.1-lightning.pkg
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x