"Helper" for "torrent" clients ??

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

"Helper" for "torrent" clients ??

Postby bob selby » Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Not sure if this should be under pkg requests or here ... feel free to move it :-)

Is there a way to automatically open the ports used by "torrent" clients (running on various windows boxes on the internal network) ??

I occasionally use uTorrent or a couple of other variants to download things like the Ubuntu ISO's but I don't like leaving them running and I consistently forget to re-enable the port forwarding for the "incoming" port - some packages use 6665-6669 and at least one other uses 15669 - and having to do it for a different IP address each time is a pain.

Is there any way to automate this ??

Has anyone done a "helper" to do this automagicaly ... or has anyone done a uPNP for Freesco??

Personally, I'm not too keen on uPNP ...

TIA
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: "Helper" for "torrent" clients ??

Postby Lightning » Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I occasionally use uTorrent or a couple of other variants to download things like the Ubuntu ISO's but I don't like leaving them running and I consistently forget to re-enable the port forwarding for the "incoming" port - some packages use 6665-6669 and at least one other uses 15669 - and having to do it for a different IP address each time is a pain.

Those are the default ports, but not necessarily the required ports. You can set almost any port range you want for each client and just leave the forwards in place all the time as long as each client is configured with a different port range as I have on my own system.
Is there any way to automate this ??
Not really other than what is asked for like a helper module.
Has anyone done a "helper" to do this automagicaly ... or has anyone done a uPNP for Freesco??
uPnP is outside the kernels capabilities.
However the irc module is probably capable of doing what you are asking. I renamed the module and here is how to try it out.
Code: Select all
cd /boot/
snarf -n http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/test/ip_masq_torrent.o
insmod -qs /boot/ip_masq_torrent.o ports=6665,6666,6667,6668,6669,15669

Make sure that any port forwarding you have had set for those ports is removed and then see if it works. If it does then you can place that command line in the '$star)' section of the rc_user script. Just make sure that your client matches the designated ports. Because the ports in the client are configurable.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Sat May 28, 2011 12:27 am

As always a very prompt and helpful reply :-)

Thanks, I'll have a play ..

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Sat May 28, 2011 3:03 am

Can I ask how the IRC module works (in general terms) - just curious :-)
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat May 28, 2011 1:09 pm

As with all helper modules it basically creates a dynamic multilayer port forward for the designated ports. The trick to whether it works or not is the identification of packets to trigger it's activation. So there is a high probability that it won't work. But it is worth a try anyway. :wink:
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x