Kernel Request

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Kernel Request

Postby justdave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:26 pm

I am running an amd athlon 64 processor with FREESCO 043. I have tried to install the kernels that are available, but they all do a core dump when FREESCO starts. I download the kernel and rename it to 'kernel'. I then run lilo and reboot. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Anyway, maybe it needs a custom kernel. I am using vipc, cd, triton, power_off

thanks

dave
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Re: Kernel Request

Postby Lightning » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Is it possible that this machine does not have a floppy controller ?

If that is the case then try one of the "no-fd" kernels.

Past that the question is if the default kernel also does a core dump and if it does not you should try one of the older kernels for 040 042 because the 043 kernels are mostly built for software raid and I have not actually tested any of them myself other than the one that I am currently using.

But I can custom build anything as needed in a few minutes once I know exactly what you want. Which I am doubtful that the triton add on will do much on an AMD board unless the PATA/SATA chipset is listed.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby justdave » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

The default kernel works fine, and it does have a floppy.

Dave
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Then try this kernel http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0 ... -cd-triton

If this kernel does not work as well then it is most likely the triton add on causing the problem on the AMD board and I can compile one without it to try.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby justdave » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:34 pm

That one works. I was trying the 043 kernels. Is there any difference/problem with running this kernel on a 043 system?

thanks

dave
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:19 pm

There has been small updates to the source, but nothing to cause any kind of problem. The biggest thing for 043 kernels is the addition of software raid. But it seems as though that specific update has damaged the kernel when trying to compile without it enabled. So there is some coding issues that I/we may need to resolve. So for now with regards to normal kernels without raid I will use the older source. Which was also updated with some more chipset support for the Triton option to add another SATA controller.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x