setup help needed

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

setup help needed

Postby murwood » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 am

I am having some trouble getting Freesco up and running and could do with a bit of help.

The system is a P75, 32MB RAM and a 1.5G hard drive. I am using configuration 'c', ethernet connection to a Motorola Canopy system. For the link to the antenna unit I am using a Netgear FA311 10/100BT PCI NIC and for the local network I am using a 3COM 3c509B ISA NIC in 10B2 mode as the house was wired for 10B2. Both cards came from working systems, and I have tried a 2nd 3c509B card.

1: When in the Freesco box, the Netgear FA311 NIC fails to connect most of the time at the "waiting for DHCPOFFER" stage. At this point if I move the cable over to the laptop, I can not connect without rebooting the antenna, so I assume that the Netgear NIC and the antenna did talk as far as getting the MAC address out.

2. The FA311 card, does the NATSEMI driver support the following command: insmod fa31x link_speed=2? It appears not to.

3: The 3c509B card, is it supported in version 0.4.3? The modules.htm file says the driver is in the /modules/old directory, but the drivers.htm file states that the driver is already built into FREESCO. Which is correct?

4: No mater what combination of PnP or pre-defined I/O and interrupt I use, with or without the 3c509.gz file in /router/drv, with or without PnP enabled in Freesco, Freesco does not seem to install the NIC support. Any suggestions on how to get this card up and running.

Anyone have any ideas of what to try next?

Tom
murwood

Re: setup help needed

Postby Lightning » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:13 pm

The first thing that we really need is a report.txt so we can see exactly how your machine is configured.

The second thing that I will ask is if your router requires a cross over cable or a straight through cable to connect directly to the Internet device. The reason I say this is because a lot of modern equipment such as your laptop have auto switching built into the network cards and the Netgear card does not. So make certain the link status light comes on the card when it is plugged in. You also can test it with a hub or switch in between if you have one laying around.

With regards to the 3c509 network card. The driver is not built into the system since the beginning of the 04x series. So adding the 3c509.gz is required and additionally you should download the 3com setup utility for that card because there could easily be conflicts in IRQ's or even in the way it was configured for a different OS. You also need to know what the IO and IRQ are for that card even though the driver is somewhat plug and play for the IO. The IO should be entered as something like the examples below, but you need the 3com setup utility installed on a DOS/win9x boot disk to know what those values should be. You also can set the card manually to 10B2 in that utility to resolve any link connection issues.

setup -> advanced settings -> network cards

0x300
0x280
0x260

Past this much help a report.txt attached to a reply will be required.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby murwood » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 pm

OK. I pulled the Netgear NIC and put in a 3c900 NIC, no change. Verified the antenna would work with 10BT with the laptop, and it did. Then installed W98SE on the router box and verified the 3c509B would connect to the house LAN, and it did. Then used IE6 through the 3c900 NIC to connect to the Internet, and it did. So both NIC cards definitely work in a W98 environment.

Cable required is straight through, tested and will not work with crossover and laptop.

Put the 3c509.gz file in /DRV, and the drivers.htm file needs to be corrected!

I have the 3COM setup as well as the 3LINK-ID utility, and have been using them....

Downed the machine and re-booted to Freesco, same issues.

Attached is the requested report.txt file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
murwood

Postby Lightning » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:11 am

----- dmesg | sed -n /eth/P -----
eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, BNC port, address 00 60 08 a7 cd 2a, IRQ 10.
eth1: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10baseT at 0x6100, 00:60:97:0d:eb:fa, IRQ 11
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
# [Network 0]
SDHCP=y #DHCP client
DHCPDNS=y #DNS via DHCP
INTNAME0=eth0 #Interface
According to your report you have the 3c509 connected to your Internet connection and it is configured for a BNC connection.
So what you need to do is to run the setup

setup -> advanced settings -> local networks -> a

Change this setting to "eth1" instead of "eth0". Then push the number "1" while in the same screen and configure network 1 so you actually have an internal network and change it's "a" option to "eth0" so the cards are swiched between network0 which is your external connection and your internal network 1 (FREESCO has support for up to 9 internal networks if you have that many cards installed). Save the settings and use this command

rc_main restart

or you may want to just reboot the machine and it should connect fine. You also can delete the fa31x.gz driver from the disk as it is not being used. Which I have a question regarding that driver as to where you found it and what card it is supposed to run. Because it is not the "natsemi.gz" driver that would be required for the Netgear FA311 card and I do not see it in the modules for 0.4.3. However the 3c900 network card is a MUCH better card for a router than the Netgear card.

Also thanks for the information and I will correct the html file to show the correct drivers in the next release.

On a secondary note, you should change the IO address in the network card section from "0x0300" to "0x300". I do realize that what you entered is what the 3com utility shows. But it is inaccurate for this specific setting and the reason it works is because the 3c509 driver is the only ISA drivers that actually ignores that setting and only needs the IRQ to work properly. So it is not a critical thing unless you happen to use another type of card that needs the setting in the future.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby murwood » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Ok thanks Lightning, that was it. I realized after I read your post that I had first set up the box with just the Netgear NIC and after had been able to ping out on the Internet, then added the 3c509B NIC for my network. Even though I had read that bit about the network detection order it never twigged on me that it had happened to me because I kept thinking it worked a minute ago so it is ok, must be the 3c509B....

The Xplornet download speed is not anywhere near what is advertised, but still a heck of a lot better than a 28k dialup! And now I do not have to yell over to the wife to see if she is still on the net before I would dial it....

Now to start adding some bells and whistles....

Thanks again.
Tom
murwood

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x