Raid 0145

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Raid 0145

Postby strampke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:55 pm

OK, I did install 0.4.3
I have a few HD's
What now? Use a 2Gb hd to start up Freesco and 3 130Gb hd's to set up a raid?
Where can I find documentation to set up a raid.
A fitting Kernel cannot be all.
Is there a package? mdadm?
Help is very much appreciated.
Who knows knows, who doesn't doesn't.
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Re: Raid 0145

Postby Lightning » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:21 pm

You MUST install a raid kernel on the floppy first. Then when you install the ext2 package it will auto detect that the system is raid capable and provide more detailed information on what must be done.

But in essence you have to use the cfdisk utility and make all the drives "type" "Linux raid autodetect" which is type "FD" and then format the drives as a raid drive using one of md0 md1 or md3 depending on your configuration file description and format the small boot partition on the boot device separately. When using two drives you should make them both on different controllers. With three and four drives it does not make a huge amount of difference. You create one small partition 5MB is plenty you only need about 2MB on your boot drive which is /dev/hda1 for the system to boot with and in your case you could use the entire 2GB but that is up to you and then the actual system gets installed on the raid partitions which is usually "md0" which is actually the combination of the other drives.

The scripting in the ext2 package should actually be explanatory enough to get it up and running in a short amount of time. But it would be interesting to know for certain how it goes.

I am uncertain what you are after with the raid.

I use raid1 on my system just for a backup for drive failure and that system only requires two drives but it optionally can also include a spare backup. But you only have the capacity of one drive.

raid0 uses all the drives together for much better hard drive speed as well as adding the capacity of each drive together and there is no drive backups or spares.

raid5 is sort of a combination of the two and requires at least three drives and it can also have a spare fourth drive.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Island » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:56 am

strampke wrote:I have a few HD's
What now? Use a 2Gb hd to start up Freesco and 3 130Gb hd's to set up a raid?
Where can I find documentation to set up a raid.

Here are some introductory pages on RAID that got me started.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID ... html#ss7.5

http://www.1u-raid5.net/Differences/

I have a number of other, more detailed, howtos but they are all for Debian; for your installation you'll need to follow the Freesco guidance. I built two raid systems using Debian, each has a main disk, and a mirror disk of the same capacity, and I used RAID 1. Incidentally, I found setting up the 'boot' arrangement was difficult, and I think I have only managed to do it 'correctly' on one of my two systems. I would suggest paying close attention to that side of the process. My objective was purely to safeguard my data, in the event of a disk failure (in my recent experience, disks are failing within 4 to 6 years, these days) so, for me, RAID 1 is the answer, but your objectives might be different. (My second server exists only to hold incremental backups of the active server, so that I can retieve data even if another person deletes it [never me, of course].)

regards, Island
Island
Junior Advanced Member

Postby strampke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm

I am still in doubt what to do with my Freesco above its router functionality.
If it is quick enough I want it to serve as a data server for the windows network, preferably with RAID switched on.
Now I just use it for nightly incremental backups on the Samba hd part of Freesco
(xcopy /s /d /y d:\data to samba)
Who knows knows, who doesn't doesn't.
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 am

Be aware that even if you use raid0 to increase the drive write speed you should still install the full version of "hdparm" available as a non-package add-on and increase the main systems drive capabilities as well. I use lines like below in the boot) section of the rc_user script for may raid system which uses hda and hdc for it's drives.
Code: Select all
boot)
    hdparm -m1 -A1 -u1 -k1 -f -c1 -S0 -d1 /dev/hda >/dev/null 2>&1
    hdparm -m1 -A1 -u1 -k1 -f -c1 -S0 -d1 /dev/hdc >/dev/null 2>&1
    ;;
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Island » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 am

strampke wrote:I am still in doubt what to do with my Freesco above its router functionality.
If it is quick enough I want it to serve as a data server for the windows network, preferably with RAID switched on.

Unless you are running an old 486, or so, I would expect a file-server performance to be fine for a home or small office application of up to, say 4 or 5 people. Fileserving does not require very much CPU (most CPU limits 'bite' when applications are computation-hungry). Depending on your use case, from a network point of view, even a 10Mbps eth might be sufficient. Though not for real-time streaming of video, more traditional uses such as browsing, email, word processing, photo processing do not make a large demand on the filesystem (unless you have many active users).

I would have no hesitation in considering using my Freesco with 3 x 130GB in a RAID5 configuration to provide my network storage needs. If possible, I would want the boot to operate on the RAID array so that the system still boots up on a disc failure - because they will fail, and that is a 'lot' of data to have unavailable and, probably, just when it matters.

[Thread drift] In respect of other applications, I would consider a mail server functionality, especially with Fetchmail aggregating email from many addresses and holding all mail locally. Dingetje's notes here:

http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/fre ... ail_server

gave me a very good start. Personally, I would now prefer to use IMAP so that the email stayed on the server and could be read by multiple clients (so that I can see my same email, all my email, on my workstation, on my netbook, on my iPad, and on my ordinary mobile phone while I am out and about - I don't have all those but I want to paint the picture of what IMAP can do for you). Not only for you, but family members can do the same thing; they can see (all) their email, irrespective of provider and address, from whichever screen they are using, even if they go away for a weekend and use a laptop while away. If I am not mistaken, there is a courier-IMAP package but I have not used it and do not know if it (a) can be used in conjunction with Exim and Fetchmail on Freesco [I would hope so, perhaps someone else can comment], and (b) whether it supports IDLE which is really very useful for 'push' email to the clients such as mobile phones. (Full discosure - I have only implemented Exim on my Freesco because it runs a quite-limited older laptop, not Fetchmail nor Courier, and only for outgoing email; my incoming mail runs on a separate linux system using another distro running Exim, Fetchmail, and Dovecot for IMAP. I think Fetchmail is very useful especially in handling multiple email addresses and sources and readily endorse Dingetje's inclusion of it in his suggestions.)

I think Freesco can be a powerful server and, for me, the key applications would be
(a) network file server, and
(b) email aggregation/server

But, if I put that important - and vital - data on Freesco (or anywhere) I would ONLY do so on a fault-tolerant RAID system. So, I would get this working, first.

regards, Island
Island
Junior Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x