USB printer support? Or point me to a distro which does.

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

USB printer support? Or point me to a distro which does.

Postby Th3_uN1Qu3 » Sat May 15, 2010 10:04 am

Hey all, i'm currently in the process of rebuilding my router. The old Fujitsu P1 served me well, but it's time to retire it after almost 5 years of running 24/7. I've fished another freebie - a Siemens Scenic Pro C6, which i upgraded to a 533MHz Celeron and 256MB of RAM. It happens to be the same form factor of my Fujitsu so it's going to fit in the same spot. It also has one onboard Intel Pro 100 so i have a free PCI slot for installing a wireless card so i can use my laptops with less hassle, without buying wifi cards for all the computers. And it's every bit as quiet as the Fujitsu was - the PSU fan is temperature controlled and stays quiet all the time, and the CPU fan STOPS altogether when load is low! :mrgreen:

The difference is obvious - booted from the same 0.4.2 disk, download speed from a local private torrent tracker jumped from 4.7MB/s to 8MB/s - and without bothering other activity like it did until now.

So that brings me to the questions. Since i now have Windows 7 on all the computers, my old HP PSC 1100 isn't recognized as a printer anymore, just the scanner works. I need the printer, and the Siemens box should have enough grunt for a print server. I'd also fit a large HDD and use it as temporary torrent storage and NAS. Oh and i would like a GUI accessible via SSH not a web interface.

If i'm not mistaken FREESCO does not support USB printers. So i would like to know what distro should i try that does, and is as close to FREESCO's speed as possible. The maximum i can upgrade this machine to would be a 733MHz Celeron and 384MB RAM (i'm out of 256MB sticks). I would try Ubuntu Server but it's a bit too large for my taste, and i'm sure i won't need 80% of it. I'd like something that fits in 256MB RAM without hitting the swapfile. Any help is welcome.

-Andrew
Th3_uN1Qu3

Re: USB printer support? Or point me to a distro which does.

Postby Lightning » Sat May 15, 2010 1:19 pm

If I were recommending another distributions it would have to be Ubuntu because of there hardware support. I did a small amount of searching and I found this
You'll need a dedicated computer to act as the router. The computer can use old hardware and having the minimum requirements to install Ubuntu should suffice. The author of this article runs his router on a P3 600mhz processor with 256MB of RAM. You are encouraged use this as a server for other applications perhaps by installing postfix, apache, mysql, and/or samba. This guide recommends a server installation of Ubuntu, but there's no reason why a desktop installation wouldn't work. If you plan to be able to access the router remotely, install ssh before proceeding.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Router/
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Th3_uN1Qu3 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:48 pm

I read that before posting here - it doesn't make me too willing to install Ubuntu Server. I've used the desktop version for quite a while, and people in their forums aren't too helpful when it comes to any REAL problems, and are a lot more closed than their source if you catch my drift. Besides, it's 1 whole CD vs 1 floppy for FREESCO...

A friend recommended ArchLinux, i'll try that first and go to Ubuntu only if i don't succeed with Arch.
Edit: I can do without the GUI, i'll just make an "USB switch" that alternates the HP PSC from mom's computer to the FREESCO router, so that both scanner and printer can be used. If i'm not lazy i'll also make it controlled by the serial port so it switches by itself when a scan is requested.
So, would it be possible to add USB printer support to FREESCO? I'm not concerned about it getting larger than a floppy.
Th3_uN1Qu3

Postby Lightning » Sat May 15, 2010 6:14 pm

So, would it be possible to add USB printer support to FREESCO? I'm not concerned about it getting larger than a floppy.
Unfortunately the answer is no. The size difference in adding it is not the issue. The kernel that I am using does not have any USB support at all. So there is no way to add something when there is no place for it to go. Although supporting a USB port for printing should not really be that difficult. So there may be some way to work around that issue in future versions and support at least printers.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Sun May 16, 2010 4:12 am

Lightning , how about Wmvare & Freesco - would a usb printer work with that kind of configuration ?
I remeber reading about hooking up Freesco with a Wmvare configuration and using wireless card that aren't supported with Freesco .
Would that work ?

EDITED ;

Here's the link ;

http://www.freesco.info/support-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9502&p=93077&hilit=wireless#p93077
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Th3_uN1Qu3 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:56 pm

Mmm, VMWare on a Celeron 533? Methinks not. @ Lightning - i'll be waiting. The replies i got in the Arch forums weren't too encouraging, so i'll try to figure it out by myself. Why it is that some people like considering everybody else n00bs? I just asked for a starting point, that's all. But, it shouldn't take more than 2 days either way so i'll just install it and see what gives.
Th3_uN1Qu3

Postby dilberts_left_nut » Sun May 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Lightning wrote:If I were recommending another distributions
:shock: - :)
it would have to be Ubuntu because of there hardware support.

I would definitely recommend Debian over Ubuntu.
You can't beat the stability of ... ahm ... 'stable'. :) esp for a router/firewall config, and IMHO Ubuntu's hastily slapped together derivative of the 'unstable' branch leaves a lot to be desired, not to mention you will be updating (and breaking) it every 6 months ... (yes LTS is a bit longer tho')
A minimal install (no DE) will run fine on your box, use the netinstall disk and just add what you want.
There is a nice howto here
dilberts_left_nut

Postby Lightning » Sun May 16, 2010 11:44 pm

I will not get into anything about Debain because I honostly have not tried for about 8 years. But I have heard that they have done a LOT of work to there install protocols, so it would definitly be worth trying out.

As for USB in VMware, no that will not work because unlike network cards. VMware doesn't modify the USB connection to another type of connection. For network cards VMware will support any card including wireless using the pcnet32 driver in FREESCO, but the USB is always USB.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Mon May 17, 2010 11:43 am

Clarkconnect might do what you want .

http://www.clarkconnect.com/legacy/index.php

The sad part is however that they recommend 1 GB harddrive and at least 512 mb ram .

http://www.clearfoundation.com/docs/user_guide/5.0/system_requirements

In any case , you are up and running in no time , I tried Clarkconnect a couple a years ago and it was very simple to set up .

Lewis,
So there may be some way to work around that issue in future versions and support at least printers

pm me if there is need of betatesting in this area , sounds fun to test out .

Regards
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby auda » Sat May 22, 2010 4:32 am

I was in a similar position to you a year or so ago and posted here http://www.freesco.org/support-forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16928&p=95268&sid=fd959df112063061e3112d0ffdfea51c#p95268
about my options. I finally settled on Slitaz I have had no problems using it as a printserver and as a file server.
I still run Freesco on and old IBM laptop as there is none better at what it does.
Well not that I have found.
Auda
auda

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x