IPX/SPX support

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

IPX/SPX support

Postby Srdjan » Wed May 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Hello guys,

I expect something like "RTFM!" but just to be sure: does FreeSCO support IPX routing, in fact, does it support IPX traffic at all?
Srdjan

Re: IPX/SPX support

Postby Lightning » Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Yes FREESCO does support IPX/SPX traffic. However you will need a hard drive install and install one of two different non-packages. Which these are just compressed tarballs. They were designed and built for the 03x system, but because they are not packages they will both run on the 04x system. One is called ipxtund and the other is called ipxtunnel. I have never used either one so I really can't give a recommendation as to which one is better, but I think the ipxtund is a little bit newer.
What this will do is to allow FREESCO to create a tunnel from one network to another network and transfer all of the IPX traffic through the tunnel over the Internet. Which this means that the tunnel must be configured at both ends to make it work.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Srdjan » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 am

Thank you very much for quick answer. I am still newbie with FreeSCO, and I must admit that I have no idea how to install this non-package.
I am using FreeSCO as a virtual router in my VMware ESX environment, without HDD instalation. I have tried to install it on HDD, but system refuses to boot in such case. Is there any way for me to remain on boot from floppy image (without need to install it on HDD), and still install ipxtund or ipxtunnel? Can I somehow "merge" ipxtund in my present FreeSCO instalation?
Srdjan

Postby Lightning » Fri May 07, 2010 5:31 am

Not really, but in VMware all you should need to do is to create a very small DOS hard drive even as small as 1 couple hundred Mb. Then just move the system to the drive using the floppy package system and the ext2 package. That way you can format the drive as ext2 and make it bootable.

P.S. there are some of the newer versions of VMware that require some special CPU parameters to work with FREESCO.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x