Strange "Read-only file system" issue

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Strange "Read-only file system" issue

Postby junior.37 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 am

1. It starts with the bootup messages. Everything goes fine until Apache:
fopen: Read-only file system httpd:could not open error log /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log xxxx

2. The freesco box works fine for about 20-30 minutes.

3. I can hear it starts reading/writing intensively from the HDD

4. The lights on the keyboard freeze lit (I have them set for network monitoring).

5. After that no SSH, FTP, Http control panel, Samba Swat and NO HTTP internet to internal machines works.

6. Ping is fine among all external and internal machines.

7. Setup does not write the configuration file:
"Read-only file system" ...
It seems this is the main issue - other commands respond similarly (like trying to disable Samba for example)... Could not create a new report file
/boot/report.txt: Read-only file system
... I am attaching an older one which should be adequate. I am not using the read once function.

8. The weirdest part: I have been running the 0.42 version for about a month and this started to occur. So I had to hard restart (manually - by button) the freesco box at least 10 times in a span of 10 hours since last night. Right now after all that troubles the internet connection to the local net has somehow restored with no glitches (and I don't hear the HDD anymore). But still the file system is read-only. It might be connected to some maintenance procedure which I am not aware of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
junior.37

Re: Strange "Read-only file system" issue

Postby Lightning » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:40 am

Unfortunately what has happened is that your hard drive file system is corrupted due to the power off shutdown and because this is a umsdos file system the system can not fix it automatically like the ext2 system can. Therefor you must now create a DOS/Windows 9x boot disk and run "scandisk" on the drive manually to get this problem fixed. Also if you plan on continuing to run the umsdos file system I would strongly suggest copying the scandisk binary to the hard drive and change your "router.bat" file to run the scandisk binary at each boot. There are several flags that can be used so it will run automatically without user input or you can add the configuration file for it as well, "scandisk.cfg" as I recall.

You also should know that under normal circumstances one of the few reasons FREESCO will completely lock up is due to a bad or corrupted hard drive. So if the problem persists even after running scandisk on it at each boot I would start looking for another hard drive for the system and I would also consider installing it from the floppy with the ext2 file system using the ext2 package next time.

Also looking at your configuration, I would strongly recommend turning off the flashing LEDs. Because on a high speed connection it can make keyboard input VERY difficult and simulate the machine locking up. Of course if you don't use the keyboard directly and normally SSH into the machine then it doesn't hurt anything. But remember that each flash is a keystroke and if the keyboard buffer gets full it is almost impossible to use.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby junior.37 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Power failure really is plausible explanation since it seems now that one of my other comps (which I usually don't turn off during the day) have interrupted a working process during my one hour absence. Furthermore an electrical power shock is not unheard of here. Maybe I will get a UPS.

I was running Freesco 0.33 on efs2 in my previous home a few years ago, but it seemed to work unstable (maybe cause by the HDD). Anyhow I decided that I would run it on FAT this time. Putting scandisk in the autoexec file is a great idea, and I will do it ASAP!

On the blinking lights - I didn't realize there were performance implications. I will switch them off. I almost never work on my Freesco computers - directly or remotely but still - there is no point of risking the stability over such little-informative function.

Thank you very much for your very useful (as always) answer.

Happy easter.
junior.37

Postby Lightning » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:11 pm

In the 03x series the ext2 package installation was developed and originally it would not repair it's self when there was a problem. Now the ext2 file system is completely self contained and will automatically repair it's self at each boot if there is any problem such as being shut down improperly due to a power failure. It also is a lot faster than umsdos and automatically defragments it's self. So you still might consider going back to it when/if you ever upgrade again. Regardless I definitely recommend running a UPS on any system that is always on.

Promotion: 0.4.3 will being coming out before to much longer as I am in the final beta testing stages ( I still need more beta testers) and there are a number of new feature capabilities such as software raid.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby junior.37 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:10 pm

actually I would be typically the one the test new versions of software..... the only thing that keeps me from doing so this time is that I am about to launch an important (for the next 3 months) website on my freesco box.... although if the apache .39 is working fine with the 0.43 I might give it a shot....
junior.37

Postby Lightning » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:39 pm

although if the apache .39 is working fine with the 0.43 I might give it a shot....
If anyone is wondering what http://www.freesco.net/ runs on it would be the latest beta version of 0.4.3
However I really never recommend installing any beta version on any kind of mission critical system. This is not due to any sort of instability, but rather it has to do with being able to upgrade it and not have to worry about downtime during reboots and such because I sometimes release a new beta version every week if I find something wrong and fix it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x