Strange DHCP query problem

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Strange DHCP query problem

Postby m3kk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:14 am

Hello all,

Until now i used a PPPoE connection, but two weeks ago i got another ISP. The new ISP `s modem is giving for the first time an ip 192.168.100.10 (192.168.100.1 is the modems ip) for 30seconds, and after one renew, the external IP.

This works like a charm in Windows, but cant do this with Freesco :(.
The problem is the follow:
If i power on the modem, when the Freesco is asking for ip via dhcp, then got the first ip 192.168.100.10 for 0.5 minutes, but after the second ask cant get any other ip, the external one :(.

I tried 0.4.2 fresh install, i tried my old 0.3.8 , same problem with both.. I tried like four ethernet cards, but the problem is the same: Cant get the external ip with the second renewing ..
Can someone help me?

Thanks.
m3kk

Re: Strange DHCP query problem

Postby Lightning » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Cant get the external ip with the second renewing ..
I am wondering how you are getting the second renewing. Have you tried booting and then login and using

rc_net restart

If that works then I can give the commands to do it automatically.
If that still doesn't help then you may need to leave the modem powered off for a little while until the MAC address is no longer cached from your ISP. However you also could use the MAC address from your Windows machine and spoof the MAC address in the advanced network setup.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby m3kk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 am

Hey, i tried all..

The second renewing is automatically, and i see it on the log page (alt+f4 or f3, dont know now :D), i see the command has been sent for a renew , NEW IP, but nothing..

Also i tried with MAC spoofing, but same thing happened.. Tried to leave the modem off some hours, the MAC was cleared, but same problem :(.
m3kk

Postby Lightning » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Have you tried completely booting the modem before starting FREESCO and can you give us a report.txt
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby m3kk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 am

Yes, i tried.

I tried also to spoof the MAC, set the ip/dns/etc manual, and change the cable on fly between Windows/Freesco.

Will post a report.txt asap.
m3kk

Postby m3kk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Today i tried a fresh install of 0.4.2 on another PC, tried with MAC spoofing, tried without, with modem turned off, tried to clone, the IP address, etc. Nothing, same problem, i thing it there a Kernel, or DHCP Client problem?

Here is the Report.txt ,but with mention, the MAC spoofing was tried before taking the report, bunt i dont think there is the problem (i tried with small and large letters too).

If i completely boot the modem, then i didnt get any IP ( neither the 192.168.100.10 ), jut the DUMMY IP 90.x.x.x .

At the ALT+F3 screen i see the following (see the attached picture) ..

I will try to try a newer Linux distribution to see if i can get to work with it, but i really want to stay with Freesco :(.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m3kk

Postby Lightning » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 pm

If your report showed more than just one interface present I would say that you had the wrong network card connected to the modem. Which I am still leaning towards that thought and the reason is because the 03x series of FREESCO detects network cards in a different order than older versions, but showing a lease from the modem sort of rules that out unless it is getting it from some internal machine that has a DHCP server running on it. So if that is the case then it still could be you need to connect the other network card to the modem. There also could POSSIBLY be an issue that you need to use a crossover cable rather than a straight through cable. This could be because newer machines have auto select network cards that can match any type of cable you are using. So be sure and use the cable that came with the modem to connect it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby m3kk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 am

This, last time i used just only one Network Card, and that connected to the modem.. I tried all, i`m not a novice with networks, etc, but really doesnt help :(. I used that cable that came with the modem, but its not crossover, but will try with a crossover one too, but there is no sense, because the connection between the modem and Network Card is up (got the ip for 0.5 minutes , the 192.168.100.10 (192.168.100.1 is the modem`s ip), but the problem appears after renewing.. :S).

Anyway i will try with a crossover cable, and i have one more idea, but if this work then didnt help me at my Freesco box.. So, if i can find a driver for Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E for Freesco, then i can try to use that network adapter what i use in windows.. But ... if i use a network adapter in windows machine, and i connect the modem for it, then work like a charm again..

I`m using Freesco almost 5 years or so (like 4 years on HDD), i had Ethernet connection on it with and without PPPoE, i also configured over 40 servers with Ethernet and PPPoE connections, but newer got this problem, because when i set them, the double leasing from modem does not existed yet.. I think the problem could be:

1. the modem...
2. in the freesco with dhcp, or something related stuff..

I`m thinking to try freesco at someone who have the similar internet connection, with similar double leasing, to exclude or confirm the first problem..
I really dont have any other idea ...
m3kk

Postby Ewaipanoma » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 am

Hello
I refer to my topic and there the last report.txt
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17228
This is a fully working example of a box working on an ISP with cable connection and DHCP. NO PPPoE or PPtP to be used!
If the ISP is providing internet by DHCP then in your box must be a normal ethernetconnection.
From the modem to your box must be a straight UTP network cable.
Now configure eth0 also to receive an IP by DHCP. Do not fill in a fixed IP like necessary for PPPoE. Be sure just about everything will be provided externaly.
Also in your report I see the old fixed IP coming back in the live config where I expect to see an IP from your provider. I would not expect to see here a class C IP addres but rather something like 212.x.x.x or 84.x.x.x
Also I see that the lease time in your report is very short. 30 seconds??
And for the hardwareconfig I'm not sure as I don't see an IRQ configured, but is this an PCI card where it is not necessary maybe?
If the networkcards do fine, then be sure the box receives well it's dynamic IP on eth0, and later check in the live config.
Also for dynamic IP it happens that you must wait untill the lease of the modem expires before you can have again a new IP provided.
This can take up to 2 hours at some providers.
Ewaipanoma

Postby m3kk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Hello,

As i mentioned in the first post the modem have the own ip class (192.168.100.x) , and first time that ip that ip from what class will be given for 0.5 mins.. 192.168.100.10. After this 0.5 min, the freesco is asking for a new ip, who should be the external one, but that will not been given by ISP, Modem .. I`m sure i made everything fine, i had before ethernet connection without any PPPoE or something like that, and i`m familiar with that.. I spoofed the MAC address, i tried with 2-3 cables, i tried with 3-4 Ethernet Cards, i tried with Freesco 0.3.8 and 0.4.2, same problem.. the freesco box didnt get the external ip after the first 0.5 min lease time expired..
m3kk

Postby Lightning » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:37 pm

It sounds like you have tried about everything possible and I was just grasping at ANY possible reason it is not connecting. Because at this point I don't see any reason for it not to work and the fact that it does work with another OS leans towards an incompatibility between the ISP's DHCP server and FREESCO's DHCPC client. Which from a programming point of view sounds like they might be using something that is not fully RFC compliant. Regardless at this point I am currently out of ideas, sorry :(
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 am

I'm not sure if this has any bearing on this problem ... but I have seen a case where Freesco was able to get a DHCP address but couldn't use it :-

The DHCP server responded with a gateway that wasnt on the same subnet as the IP address provided.

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby m3kk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 pm

I think its something related about MAC cloning.. Today i changed my ISP, on windows if i clone the MAC address, everything is fine, but at my freesco box, if i clone the mac, same issue, no dhcp response.. if i use the original NIC (original mean the NIC with MAC address what my ISP have, than its OK) ..

I think the MAC cloning is ok, because at ifconfig command i see the right MAC, but no ip given from ISP..

Its possible to change my NICs MAC address at EPROM? I mean to change the default MAC address of the cards..
The problem is, the original NIC is bad, and i want to test like 5-6 cards to decide what to keep in the freesco, but i dont want to call my ISP with 5-6 MAC changing :).

Any ideas?
- Why the spoofing/cloning isnt working well?
- How can i overwrite a mac address for a NIC in EPROM ?

Thanks.
m3kk

Postby Lightning » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Any ideas?
- Why the spoofing/cloning isnt working well?
- How can i overwrite a mac address for a NIC in EPROM ?

I suppose it is possible that the DHCP server is looking at more than just the MAC address because if that were all they were looking at the system could not tell the difference. However it is possible that it is looking for a specific MAC format, but if that were the case then the system wouldn't show the MAC being changed in the ifconfig command.

Unless you have the manufactures base code software there isn't any way to rewrite the MAC address of a card. I did have a card once that came from a motherboard that had problems and the MAC address got completely cleared to just zeros. But that was an accident caused from a defective motherboard board.

As for any other ideas, I would choose either an Intel eepro 100 or a 3Com 3C905 network cards for the system and provide your ISP with that MAC address. You will find choosing either of those two cards will make your connection much more responsive and dependable.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 am

Hmmm - I'm with Virgin and use an ethernet cable modem that uses the MAC address to authenticate ... when I rebuilt my 040 box I was short of PCI slots and so used a spare dual card.

It is 100% compatible with the intel eepro100 (uses 2 sets of intel chips) and works very well under 040 ... but I had to set the MAC address on ETH0 to get it to authenticate.

Sometimes the driver supports specifying the MAC address but not all cards will accept a MAC address from the driver ... but personally I used the Intel tool (there is a boot disk) to configure the hardware and set the MAC address.

It may be worth seeing if there is a similar tool for your card.

If the MAC address has got a funny value (eg all zeros) this tool *may* let you work around it.

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x