email server is possible with dynamic IP?

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

email server is possible with dynamic IP?

Postby Hitio » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:38 am

Hello everyone,

I want run a mail server with my domain @marcalmo.homeip.net, but I did not succeed on Ubuntu.
I have read that it is not possible with dynamic IP. Is this true?
Exist any How to, in Freesco router? that i can read?

Thank you very much
Freesco Box 0.4.3-14 (Beta), Pentium 1 HP Vectra, 64 Mb RAM, FD, HD 4 Gb (Freesco HD Install Ext2) Eth Realtek 8139 (3), Packages: apache_1.3.27_dingetje, mysql-4.1.7-lightning, mc-4.6.0-lightning, PhpMyadmin, Webmin, etc. - My web site: marcalmo.homeip.net
Hitio
Junior Advanced Member

Re: email server is possible with dynamic IP?

Postby dilberts_left_nut » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, yes it is certainly possible, I have done it.
But many mail servers refuse SMTP connections from dynamic IP's, and also some statics if you are unlucky.
You should have little trouble though if you can route via your ISP's SMTP relay, or there are others offering this service.
dilberts_left_nut

Postby Lightning » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 pm

As stated above there are a lot of mail servers that will refuse connections from a dynamic IP. However as stated above if you configure exim to relay all outgoing traffic through your ISP's mail server then it will work seamlessly.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:05 pm

This wiki article describes howto configure exim and relay outgoing messages via your ISP's mail server:

http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/fre ... ail_server

http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/fre ... ault_route

I'm running a mail server on FREESCO on a dynamic IP address for like ages, so yes its possible. Make sure your ISP allows SMTP incoming access though. Mine did at first but have they no longer allow this (to provide better "service" to their customers, yeah right! :oops: ). The trick around this is to use an SMTP relay service, so you can run exim on a non-standard port.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Hitio » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:09 am

Thank you very much everybody.

Mr. dingetjes, your tutorial has been of great help, as is everything I receive from you. Mr Lewis their input and wisdom are of great value to me.

Mr. dilberts_left_nut, your comment is very appropriate, since I suffered my first rejection.

Well, I followed the tutorial from Mr dingetjes and I've installed Exim and Qpopper (not as a package 0.4.x and not in the address: http://freesco.zapto.org/packages/beta/ ... 0.5_phbc50.
I've downloaded from the site dingetje.homeip.net 0.3.x Packages.

Well.

I have follow the tutorial and i have made the test from my computer and with putty:

I've got:

telnet localhost 25
220 marcalmo.homeip.net ESMTP Exim 4.50 Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:00:14 +0000

after

[root@router] telnet 192.168.2.1 110
+OK Qpopper (version 4.0.5) at router starting.

I have create a user webmaster

I have made the changes in /etc/aliases

I can´t understand how follow the tutorial and how made this: "and change your_user with an existing email user on your system".

I can´t find: (plz look at the bold word)

exim 3.x configuration

The first step is to change your exim configuration. (For FREESCO 027 this file is /mnt/router/packages/exim/configure, for 03x this is /usr/local/exim/configure). For obvious reasons, make a backup of your config file first!
Locate the line with local_domains and make it look like this:

qualify_domain = dingetje.homeip.net
local_domains = localhost:dingetje.homeip.net:dbm;/mnt/router/packages/exim/domains.dbm

your line may look different because you've already added other local domains or you've used a different local domain name. The important part is the last section where we tell exim to look into a database file. In this example I've located this file (on my FREESCO 027) in /mnt/router/packages/exim/domains.dbm. I suggest you use /pkg/etc/domains.dbm for FREESCO 03x.

Now scroll down to the DIRECTORS CONFIGURATION in your exim configuration and add this section as the first handler:

Thanks again

SYL
Freesco Box 0.4.3-14 (Beta), Pentium 1 HP Vectra, 64 Mb RAM, FD, HD 4 Gb (Freesco HD Install Ext2) Eth Realtek 8139 (3), Packages: apache_1.3.27_dingetje, mysql-4.1.7-lightning, mc-4.6.0-lightning, PhpMyadmin, Webmin, etc. - My web site: marcalmo.homeip.net
Hitio
Junior Advanced Member

Postby dingetje » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Mr. dingetjes, your tutorial has been of great help

I cannot take credit for that tutorial, most of it has been written by Mr. Email himself, phbc50.
Unfortunally I believe phbc50 has left the FREESCO community and his site is also down for quite a while :( :cry:
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby dingetje » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm

"and change your_user with an existing email user on your system"

simple, the text your_user in the tutorial has to be changed into an already existing user account on your FREESCO, that's all.

Also keep in mind that the tutorial has been written for FREESCO 03x, so there may be some changes required for 04x
I haven't tried setting up a mail server myself using FREESCO 04x, I don't even know how idential the 04x package for exim is with the one for 03x...sorry!
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby dingetje » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:48 pm

I can´t find: (plz look at the bold word)

That's alright, because those missing dbm files have to be created at a later stage, see wiki article "Create domains database"
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:46 am

Also keep in mind that the tutorial has been written for FREESCO 03x, so there may be some changes required for 04x
I haven't tried setting up a mail server myself using FREESCO 04x, I don't even know how idential the 04x package for exim is with the one for 03x...sorry!
The directory structure and configuration files for the exim package in the 04x series is identical to that of the 03x series. The primary differences are in the rc_exim script and the package design it's self.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Hitio » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:21 am

thanks a lot, but this is too complicated for me and it is likely that the mail servers where I sent my mails, reject it finally.
I decided to use Yahoo's service.
Thank you very much and sorry for the inconvenience.
Hitio
Junior Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x