local DNS and DHCP conflict

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

local DNS and DHCP conflict

Postby caveman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:04 am

Hi,

I didn't know what sort of topic to give. Sorry!
The problem is that i have setup freesco 0.4.2 to assign IP's based on MAC address. This works fine.
I also use the caching DNS server for all my internal clients and i restrict access to few sites, set internal websites to domain names.
The network has also an WiFi access point that uses the same IP range and setting as if someone was using ethernet (UTP cable).
The problem came up today when i pluged in a laptop on the ethernet.
DHCP server has two entries for the laptop

in the order appearing in my dhcp.cfg file:
Code: Select all
#Hyperion Laptop ethernet
host HYPERION {
fixed-address 192.168.2.23;
hardware address 00:MAC:ADD:RE:SS:ETH;
}
#Hyperion Laptop WiFi
host HYPERION {
fixed-address 192.168.2.24;
hardware address 00:MAC:ADD:RE:SS:Wi:Fi;
}

As expected the laptop got the 192.168.2.23 address, and works on the network.
BUT, when i do a nslookup from another host on the network using the freesco DNS server, i get a reply of two (2) ip addresses:
(first) 192.168.2.24, (second) 192.168.2.23

As a result, i cannot ping, trace or access this laptop by name (it tries to ping 192.168.2.24 that does not exist).Using the IP everything works. This was not the case on my previous 0.3.4 setup. The dhcp.cfg was kept intact when i migrated from 0.3.4 to 0.4.2.
In the list of Connected Internal Clients in the Control Panel, i see the laptop connected only with the IP:192.168.2.23.
Any ideas??
### there are darker places than your basement ###
caveman

Re: local DNS and DHCP conflict

Postby Lightning » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Try doing it this way in your dhcpd configuration
Code: Select all
#Hyperion Laptop ethernet
host HYPERION {
hardware address 00:MAC:ADD:RE:SS:ETH;
}
#Hyperion Laptop WiFi
host HYPERION {
hardware address 00:MAC:ADD:RE:SS:Wi:Fi;
}

This is the correct format, you can have more than one entry for a host name. But you should give the same IP address when using different MAC addresses. Alternatively you can also list multiple "fixed-address" on one MAC address if the machine moves around on different subnets. But when doing that you just use a single entry.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby caveman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:52 am

I have though of that, but how my setup worked on 0.3.4? Was there a bug? or it was different philosofy?
And something else that comes in my mind:
In case i do not put the wireless MAC address on the DHCP, and the DHCP assigns an automatic IP from the range i have (50 - 59),
what would happen then? I still wont be able to ping by name?
If there isn't something i'm missing here, it might be a bug somewhere.
### there are darker places than your basement ###
caveman

Postby Lightning » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:12 pm

In case i do not put the wireless MAC address on the DHCP, and the DHCP assigns an automatic IP from the range i have (50 - 59),
what would happen then? I still wont be able to ping by name?

Correct because there would still be a name conflict with IP addresses.
If there isn't something i'm missing here, it might be a bug somewhere.
You are not missing anything except the fact that the system is done differently. In 034 these leases were manually added to the hosts file using scripting, but in later 03x and 04x systems these leases are read directly using the DNS system which is a lot stricter on how things are done. So even through it worked in 034 that way doesn't really mean it was correct. But if you really wanted this to work as it did on 034 then you "probably" could just add the names and IP's directly into the DNS configuration and then the DHCP lease entries would be ignored and two IP addresses would be sent to the client for the name you ask for.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x