Hardware selection

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Hardware selection

Postby syscon456 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm planning on upgrading to freesco-0.4 and putting a smaller box.
Since it will be a fanless box (no floppy, only USB), I have a selection of various drives:
IDE Flash, USB Flash, CF Flash (generates less heat) on comparison to standard drive.

Will I have a problem with installation? I think I'll need to compile additional drivers into the kernel, isn't it?
In addition I'll be using Wifi connection as well.

--
Joseph
syscon456

Re: Hardware selection

Postby Lightning » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:44 am

FREESCI does NOT support USB devices other than being able to boot in a special non configured mode on USB devices. This allows it to install to a hard drive but it is not recommended for trying to actually use FREESCO unless you build your own custom ramdisk and have no plans on changing anything afterward.
You can use the CF to IDE adapters without any problems, but the other two uses for CF's are not supported. Also if you are planning on using WiFi and FREESCO you need to use either a access point or a standard WiFi router from it's internal port. There are posts on the forum on how to configure as standard WiFi router for use as an access point because WiFi routers are usually cheaper than access points.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: Hardware selection

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:01 pm

I would suggest an ITX board and one from VIA since there NIC's are often supported , at least there early boards like the 5000 series .
Some of the older boards even has a floppy controller and I bet you can make a bargain one one of those on ebay .
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x