Help: Formating And Booting An Iso9660

Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums, including Author's chit chat forum and soon others.

Postby Ramik » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Is it possible to format a partition to the cd-rom file system ?
I would like to be able to "burn" an iso file into a partition on my HD and have Grub\Lilo boot it.
I have Freesco 0.3.7, a cdrom supporting kernel that can mount an iso through loopback, cdrtools_2.00.3_tom for when\if I'll need mkisofs, and I think I can use dd to copy from the loopback to the device (dd if=myimage.iso of=/dev/hda1p4).

What I don't know is what exacly the partition size should be, any special fdisk instruction - that I'm sure their are - and an overall step by step would be nice ;-)

The reason I'm not doing a frugal install (KNOPPIX style) or manually copying the files (Win\Dos) is because I'm trying to run Plan9...

Any clues ?
Ramik

Postby Slowpoke » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:38 pm

Is it possible to format a partition to the cd-rom file system ?
Sorry, no.

I would like to be able to "burn" an iso file into a partition on my HD and have Grub\Lilo boot it.
You can "burn" a CD, but you can't "burn" a partition on a hard drive.... To move the contents (of a CD, or just an .iso file) first create a partition on the HDD equal to or greater than the size of the CD, format it, and mount it. Then mount the partition and the CD (or image), then copy it to the target mount point. Both grub and lilo will be able to look to it as a boot partition; it's just a matter of telling them what/where the boot files are...

I'm trying to run Plan9...
From Bell Labs? The CD already has an installation mode built in - all you need is free space on the drive for it to create a partition, and it will install. (At least that's what I've gathered in about 8 minutes of searching their site...)
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby Ramik » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:21 am

The idea was to fake a live cd into working without a CD drive, Since I can't partition to ISO9660 theirs no hope for a general method for all kinds of Live-CDs:

Damn Small Linux\Knoppix: Can copy the loopback file to a partition and use a supplied initrd for this purpose (similar to our very own freesco).

Gentoo: boot floppy and manual stage 1 -3.

Other dists\os's: multi floppys that use a network connection to download the content and\or mount a cdrom drive.

Plan 9: I'll move the plan9 poor mans installation method to 9fans mailing list so to not clatter the forum...

so I'll end this discussion here, unless anyone knows of a method to format to ISO9660 and to boot that partition through grub\lilo.

Thanks anyhow Slowpoke.
Ramik

Postby Slowpoke » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:12 am

Ramik wrote:The idea was to fake a live cd into working without a CD drive, ...
AHHhhhhh...... I didn't realize that you were trying to do this without a physical drive.... :(

There may be hope for you yet:<!--QuoteBegin-"http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You can also install by booting a floppy disk, but you will still need the CD (or at least the CD image) in order to install the system. The CD is the preferred method of installation. The floppy disk has a minimal plan9.ini file on it. If you have special requirements, you may need to customize it.[/quote]Based on that info, you should be able to get Plan9 installed without the CD drive since you do have the image..

:)

-Slowpoke
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Return to Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums