Dyndns v0.3.8

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Dyndns v0.3.8

Postby lotus123r5 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:57 am

OK, read some info about dyndns, but only make sure if i do right,... or maybe wrong.

i have 2 dyndns accounts, for example:
test01.dyndns.org - user: testuser01 - password: testpw01
test02.dyndns.org - user: testuser02 - password: testpw02

in the setup the following:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# NOTE: If you have a semi permanent IP or if you enable the Remote IP then
# enable crond and run "crontab". There is a line that you can uncomment.

# Supported clients are zoneedit, dhs, domain-dns, loopia, and
# [dyndns, custom, statdns]
#
# There is also the option to use "unsupported" which means none of the above.
# With "unsupported" you must provide the update command manually at the bottom
# of this file.
CLIENT=dyndns ---------> dont have to do anything, dyndns is OK

# Your DynDNS URL, multiple domains seperated by a comma inside quotes.
DNCNT="test01.dyndns.org,test02.dyndns.org" ---------> this will be fine i think (no space needed if i read the text well)

# Account login name inside of quotes. For the domain-dns client use the DYNNAME
# variable for your personal KEY rather than a login name..
DYNNAME="testuser01,testuser02" ---------> is this OK, or is only 1 user allowed?

# Account password inside of quotes. Blank for domain-dns
DYNPASS="testpw01,testpw02" ---------> is this OK, or is only 1 password allowed?

# Settings below are optional. Blank for domain-dns ---------> can leave this blank i think...?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<ENTER> to continue

If you want all of your internal machines to resolve the dyndns
URL to the router, then you need to enable the following option.

491 Enable local dyndns URL lookup (y/n) [y]? ---------> yes will be fine....i think???

Questions:
Will above configuration work? or is it not correct? maybe only 1 username and password allowed?
And the dyndns updater works every day, or is there a schedule (every 10, 15, 20 or 25 days it updates the dyndns accounts?...
Thx again!!! and again!
lotus123r5

Re: Dyndns v0.3.8

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Account login name inside of quotes. For the domain-dns client use the DYNNAME
# variable for your personal KEY rather than a login name..
DYNNAME="testuser01,testuser02" ---------> is this OK, or is only 1 user allowed?

# Account password inside of quotes. Blank for domain-dns
DYNPASS="testpw01,testpw02" ---------> is this OK, or is only 1 password allowed?
You are correct, only one username and password is allowed. You can setup quite a few dyndns URLs with just one account at dyndns.org

I am guessing that you are running the stock web server thttpd, which does not have virtual hosting enabled in the binary. But if you would like to run different web pages for each host name then you can install the Apache package. Apache is also configured by default for user web pages and no changes would be required.

As for the updates, with a semi static IP address you want the cron job to try and updates every day. But the dyndns client in FREESCO will ONLY allow an update when the expiration time is reached. Which if memory serves me correctly it should only update every 20 days or so. If you update the same IP address to often with dyndns.org they will block you and remove your account, so the client is designed to prevent that from happenning. But if for some reason you need to force an update on your account. You can do it manually with

dyndns -f
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 am

THX Lightning!
Going to test it. Had 2 dydns accounts, so delete 1 and put the dyndns account to the other existing dyndns account.
Accounts are updating now by windows, but prefer it to control it by Freesco.
Thx again for all information submitted!
Grz, Maikel
lotus123r5

Postby lotus123r5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D
just test it! AND IT WORKS GREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT!
THX AGAIN Lightning!!!!! Make my day! AGAIN!
lotus123r5

Dyndns v0.3.8 - Not OK

Postby lotus123r5 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:59 am

Hello All, Hello Lightning,

get a message in my email today:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Dyn Customer:

Your Dyn account 'Lotus123', has DynDNS free hostname(s) that are due to
expire in 5 days. Note that DynDNS free hostnames are deleted after 30 days
of inactivity.

You can prevent your hostname(s) from expiring here:
etc etc........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I updated the dyndns account 21 august 2012 with success... but Freesco dont update the dyndns automaticly, cause the 20 days from 21 august 2012 allready expired.
When i create the dyndns account in the file: /etc/dyndns.cfg i did the dyndns -f command to update my account. That works!
Maybe the dyndns service is not started yet? or do i have to reboot the freesco server? or do i have to enable something in the setup? how can i troubleshoot what is going wrong here?
Thx again and again.

Grz, Maikel
lotus123r5

Postby Lightning » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:54 pm

You need to enable and edit the "cron" server. It is required when you have a semi static IP address that you have a crond job set to check every day. There is an entry in the crontab that can be "uncommented" by removing the '#' in the beginning of the line. If your cron server is already running you can edit the file by using

crontab -e
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:29 am

Hello Lightning, Thx again for your support!

I changed the file: /etc/cron/root
Are these settings correct?
And how can i see if cron is running?
Cause when i do: touch /var/.crond_running >/dev/null 2>&1
Nothing happens with the file time stamp? When i ftp to the file: /etc/cron/root same time and date: 686 Sep 22 12:13 root
Think i have to do more to make it work......? Hope u can help me out......... again....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Direct all cron output to /dev/null
#
# If you have a dynamic dns account and you have a semi permanent IP.
# For remote IP change the below "1" to a "*".
0 1 * * * dyndns >/dev/null 2>&1
#
# To remove saved logs that are more than 7 days old.
0 0 * * * rmlogs 7 >/dev/null 2>&1
#
# To keep an accurate accounting for dialup ISP connection times, if 203 enabled
# 59 23 * * * control down >/dev/null 2>&1
#
# To keep an accurate accounting for RAS connection times, if 204 enabled
# 59 23 * * * rc_ras restart >/dev/null 2>&1
#
# Keep the time stamp on this file current every minute, so that you can see
# cron is running.
* * * * * touch /var/.crond_running >/dev/null 2>&1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lotus123r5

Postby Lightning » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Think i have to do more to make it work......? Hope u can help me out......... again....
It sounds like the server is not running, also editing the file /etc/cron/root directly will not work with FREESCO because that file is actually a ramdisk file and is just in memory. So as soon as you reboot it will go back to the original version. So always use 'crontab -e' to edit the file. That way both copies of the file get changed. This behavour is one of the reasons FREESCO is able to operate so efficiently as the entire base OS is in memory and never has to use disk access for primary operations.

As for to see if cron is running, the first thing to do is to run the 'setup' and go into the "Advanced' settings menu and under the 'services' section you will see the 'Cron daemon' under number 42. So enter '42' and make sure the server is enabled. Save the configuration and then use

rc_crond restart

The server should start and your settings will take effect immediately without a reboot needed. You also at any time can always use

rc_crond status

P.S. had to double check for the 03x series as the 04x series is a LOT different with regards to the setup and my memory isn't what is once was :roll:

As a side note if you ever decide to upgrade to the 04x series it does have quite a lot to offer.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:50 am

Hello Lightning!
Thx again for your supberb explenation and knowlegde!
i did use crontab -e, so that is fine.
in the setup crontab was not running, so i started the service and save the settings. Ur memory still pretty good, dont worry about that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saving.........

Saved: You should restart the system so settings will take effect.
[root@Freesco]
rc_crond status[root@Freesco]
crond server is not running
[root@Freesco]
rc_crond restart[root@Freesco]
Starting crond... Done
[root@Freesco] rc_crond status
crond server is running
[root@Freesco]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

THX AGAIN AND AGAIN! Hope this will automatically update my dyndns from now.
If my computer stops breathing, then i will go on with the 04x series.
But you teached me so much with 0.3.8 that iam really satisfied with this great version.
Thx... Again! Grz Maikel.
lotus123r5

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x