USB Support

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby G-Man » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:24 pm

many usb modems don work in any linux, reason is that the usb modems are missing the modem part in them, all modem work is done by main cpu thru the driver and driver is only avail for xp and the likes.

buy instead the real serial modem instead, its worth extra $ as removes load on pc also.
many isp's alows you to select if wants usb or tp dsl modems, if they only have usb then you can usally buy one that meets your demands.
<b><span style='color:blue'>I'd live life in the fast lane, but I am married to a speed bump.</span></b>
G-Man

Postby ellis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:21 am

I would like to see it work on a USB thumb drive. Yes - you can put it on a thumb drive and boot it - but anything else is a no go..
ellis

Postby Zedde » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:47 am

Hello

I haven't read the whole post but the kernel is to old to support USB as I understand.
"From now until the end of the world,
we and it shall be remembered.
We few, we Band of Brothers.
For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
Zedde
Junior Advanced Member

Postby jason.b.c » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:25 am

G-Man wrote: many usb modems don work in any linux, reason is that the usb modems are missing the modem part in them,

Actually , I believe that a USB modem is still considered to be a "Hardware Modem" , It's just the USB interface that causes all the trouble in a linux system , Now i do know of some people getting their USB modems working in linux systems but not without alot of "Leg Work"..

But really though , If you really want a almost surefire way to have and connect a modem to use for your dialup - an external serial modem is the way to go..

I would like to see it work on a USB thumb drive. Yes - you can put it on a thumb drive and boot it - but anything else is a no go..

You would like to see what exactly work on a Thumb Drive..?? I don't understand... :huh:
jason.b.c

Previous

Return to FREESCO wish list