NAS Features

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

NAS Features

Postby Build-0-Matic » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm

I love FreeSCO for its minuscule size.
A small os is perfect for squeezing every drop of power from older machines.

Now, I use FreeSCO on a small NAS I built from an old AMD AthlonXP. It works fine except for the fact that I have multiple hard disks installed. I tent to find it a chore to either manually mount the devices every time I boot or simply to edit the rc files to have them mounted on startup.
If there was a way to edit the rc files using a script.
It would be nice to have such a feature in the setup menu and the web admin panel.

Just imagine is you just selected the drives you want mounted at startup and the setup would create the rc file and the links to make navigating using the ftp server a breeze.
Build-0-Matic

Re: NAS Features

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Hmmmmm, just a question. Have you considered raid?

Since v0.4.3 FREESCO has software raid capabilities and multiple drives can be combined into one drive and the size of each drive does not matter. Linear just combines drives, In raid0 with two or more drives and an increase in access speeds or raid5 with three or more drives to increase speed and redundancy what you are asking could be done and it would just look like one drive. I just use raid1 as redundancy for my data and with old drives it is usually needed.

But for your question, I do recall a package that would mount multiple drives in an automated manor. I don't remember what version of FREESCO it was for (02x 03x). But something could probably be done with it for the 04x series.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Build-0-Matic » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

I never thought of using software Raid...
Thing is I got my server built from donated parts so nothing is really "standard" on it, not even drive capacity.

Though cone to think of it, a local surplus electronics store near my place does have a nice PCI-SATA Raid controller on the shelf... but I don't think the kernel would support it.
Build-0-Matic

Postby Lightning » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Though come to think of it, a local surplus electronics store near my place does have a nice PCI-SATA Raid controller on the shelf... but I don't think the kernel would support it.
You are correct, the kernel won't support them.
As for various IDE drives and sizes. It makes absolutely no difference on size when using "linear" as the drives are just added together. It will also work in other raid modes with different size drives, but having them at least close is much better for raid in anything other than linear mode.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Build-0-Matic » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:15 pm

In that case, maybe simply putting a menu entry to simplify setting up Raid would be a better option?
Build-0-Matic

Postby Lightning » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 pm

In that case, maybe simply putting a menu entry to simplify setting up Raid would be a better option?
If you download and install a "raid" kernel on the floppy. Then when you install the ext2 package (required for raid) it will automatically give you all of the options for raid and some information on how to configure it. To make raid work requires fdisk'ing the drives as auto raid and formatting them as well as raid. So instead of having hda hdb and so on you end up with just one disk called md0 md1 or what ever number you choose to configure them as.
But it is all triggered by installing a 043 raid kernel on the floppy first.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Build-0-Matic » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

I've been playing with the raid setup on my old machine while upgrading it to version 044.
I must say it isn't as obvious as I first thought... took me a few tries to get it right.

So having the option to auto mount individual drives might still be a nice addition... probably a small one too.
Build-0-Matic

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm

I must say it isn't as obvious as I first thought... took me a few tries to get it right.
Hehe if it was only a few tries then you are ahead of the curve. Raid is quite complicated and there are so many options. I did REALLY put a lot of effort into making it as simple as possible, but only partially succeeded as there are some things that have to be done manually. Of course the good news is that once you figure it out, it is simple from then on.

Be aware that in the documentation for raid, it stated that when possible it is better to have each hard drive on a different controller due to bandwidth restrictions. Which is only really important if you are just using two disks for raid. Once you use three or four disks it really doesn't matter as everything is in use unless you put another controller on the system.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Build-0-Matic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:56 pm

You're pretty right when you say it ain't easy!
I definitely wouldn't recommend this type of setup to a beginner. Just moving it to an ext2 partition is already rock & roll for many (especially those who didn't grow up with the old command line and text menus...)

But I must admit you did a better job than many for soft Raid.
Build-0-Matic

Return to FREESCO wish list