Freesco On Hd

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby sagabihs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:06 am

hello every one!
i'm new to linux --> fressco as well

i'v been searching in the forum about the following:

* can i install freesco in hard desk with other OS i.e windows linux. i mean you can boot from either one without formating the whole hd, how?

* i want to buy a 3G PMCIA datacard. is it possible that freesco will recognize it and make it my gateway because we don't have ADSL port available. this card is working with linux. there is a linux driver for it.

thanks in advance !!
sagabihs

Postby Slowpoke » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:27 pm

sagabihs wrote:* can i install freesco in hard desk with other OS i.e windows linux. i mean you can boot  from either one without formating the whole hd, how?

Yes, you can.<!--QuoteBegin-"readme.txt in FREESCO.ZIP"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("readme.txt in FREESCO.ZIP")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->To install your router on a hard drive you first need to prepare the drive - it should be formatted with a bootable dos partition. (FAT16 or FAT32) Freesco can share the partition with an existing install of DOS or Win3.11/95/98. Everything is installed under a directory called ROUTER, except router.bat which is in the root directory. Other directories/files are left untouched.

Once you have this, boot from the Freesco disk, and at the first screen use the mv2hd command. The router and any configuration you've done will be copied to the hard drive. Your system will reboot automaticly when finished. You will need to remove the floppy and either edit autoexec.bat to launch router.bat automatically, or if the drive is otherwise blank you can just rename router.bat to autoexec.bat. Although if you plan on installing packages it is recommended to use a seperate autoexec.bat file and run scandisk in automatic mode, so that it will run at each boot before Freesco starts. [/quote]
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:02 am

i want to buy a 3G PMCIA datacard. is it possible that freesco will recognize it and make it my gateway because we don't have ADSL port available. this card is working with linux. there is a linux driver for it.

Probably not :(

But, if you provide a link to the source(s) (or other info) maybe some of the guru's can take a peek and see if compiles or has a version for the old kernel (2.0.3x) Freesco uses.
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby sagabihs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:03 am

Thanks for replying,
for the 1st part i will try my best to do it "looks hard but good to learn :) "

for the 2nd part the source is in this link : <a href='http://www.sierrawireless.com/faq/ShowFAQ.aspx?ID=601' target='_blank'>http://www.sierrawireless.com/faq/ShowFAQ.aspx?ID=601</a>
if any one can help

thanks
sagabihs

Postby dingetje » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Code: Select all
#define DRIVER_DESC "USB Driver for Sierra Wireless USB modems"

Sorry, FREESCO does not support USB. By reading through the howto I've the impression this driver is for a 2.6 kernel. FREESCO is still using the 2.0 kernel (proven technology ^_^ )
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Return to FREESCO wish list