Report detected NICs in setup

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby effo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:20 pm

Ok, this is not an important issue, but it might help people setting up FREESCO boxes. I have no idea of what it takes to achieve this, but I think it would be a nice little feature.

Feature asked for: A simple report of the NICs that are detected during boot. This information could be displayed when entering the setup. Maybe something like:

NICs identified: eth0, eth1
If any of your NICs is not reported above, you need to confiugre it or install a driver for it. See FREESCO documentation

Rationale: This would help a user to track down errors when setting up a FREESCO. I have seen several reports where NICs are not detected. If this information was easily available, for example when entering setup, maybe we would see fewer topics where the solution simply is to install a driver.

/Fredrik
This is Linux country. On a silent night you can hear Windows reboot.
effo

Postby PHBC50 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:09 pm

Hello,
I think that would only work for PCI NICs which are automatically detected when you set IRQ/IO to 0 (and that would mean set this value to 0 by default tin setup, maybe misleading), otherwise people need to set the IRQ/IO manually anyway for ISA cards. Other than that it would be a good idea.
phbc50
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. (Arthur C Clarke)
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:29 pm

I think this is a pretty good idea on a basic level and as all of FREESCO's basic functions include a network card that is the most important item. However I think that maybe another page in the setup for detetced hardware would be better so that you could see things like printer ports, serial ports, drives as well as network cards would be better.Most of this information is included in a report, but it is not necesarily easy to pich it out if you are not sure what you are looking for. I will have to put some thought into what doing this will require.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO wish list