Tab completion

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby PaulR » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:43 am

No idea how much space this would take up - I assume it's an 'extension' to the shell? - but it'd be good for lazy people like me :-)
PaulR

Postby Lightning » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:08 pm

Well TAB completion is part of the bash shell and FREESCO uses ash. So with regards to adding bash into FREESCO it just plainly will not fit in any way and it would be considered inpractical at best, sorry.
But there is a bash package for FREESCO that can be used on a hard drive install. But I have not tested that package and it is MOST likely that it will cause problems with the new Dropbear binary included in 034 because it had to have source code changes to run on ash in the first place and after the changes to make it run in FREESCO it no longer ran in Slackware with bash as a shell. :(
But as stated I have not tested it myself and if you need completion you could give it a try.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby PaulR » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:13 pm

Hehe - I don't need it, it'd just be nice for dealing with those long path names. I really wouldn't like to upset my nice new Freesco set up so I'll put up with the typing :-)
PaulR

Postby dingetje » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:24 pm

I've reworked the bash package last weekend:

Code: Select all
pkg -i http://dingetje.homeip.net/packages/0.3.x/TiGeR/bash_1.14.7_tiger

You can safely install it, and then just remember to type bash once you're logged in to change to the bash shell and you'll need to exit twice to really logoff (first time to leave the bash shell, 2nd to leave the ash shell).

Do <span style='color:#FF0000'>*NOT*</span> change the default shell of your (root) account to /pkg/bin/bash, because then you won't be able to login via dropbear anymore (I've tried).
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby PaulR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:26 pm

Thanks dingetje - filed for future reference!
PaulR

Postby Quatsch » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:20 pm

sorry for the kick but just a little question what is dropbear? and even if I would put bash as a standard shell for root I would always be able to change this afterwards? correct me if I'm wrong...
Quatsch

Postby dingetje » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:43 pm

what is dropbear?

<a href='http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html' target='_blank'>dropbear</a> is a SSH server which has replaced the unsecure telnet server in the current FREESCO version.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:02 pm

This wish has been made a reality and it will be included when 035 is released. Justdave has kindly re written the ile command line history to some specific specifications for FREESCO and tab completion is one of the features that is now included. So having to use a bash shell to accomplish this will no longer be required in FREESCO when 035 is released.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO wish list